rider_1313

Help me with 32 ip cam NVR selection!

First off, HI!!

I have been installing and working with all types of cctv and low-voltage systems for 12 years. I have lurked on the forum for help and answers many times in the past but I dont really post much....im gonna change that tho!

Sooo, I have a new system that im setting up and would like some recomondations. I have done hundreds of analoge systems but not many IP. sooo here is what i have so far.

I am starting off with 10 vivotech or axis outdoor ir ip cams, (5) 1mp, and (5) 3mp. Wiring w/cat-6e using POE. I need to be able to expand up to 32ch in the future.

For now I only need HDD space for the 10 cams at high res for around 2 week. But I need to be able to expand HDD space for all 32 cams in the future. I am thinking around 12TB will be good for now??

price is a concern, but I will only settle for doing it the right way.

SOOOO my questions are....

(1) What is a reliable, and cost affective NVR option for me? So far I was qouted on an Exacq Technologies 14tb unit...What do you think about that??

(2) Also, I naturaly want to lean towards a NVR with hdd, but I hear of a lot of guys doing the recording in the cloud and selling licences that they recieve "RMR" reocuring monthly revinue on..and that interests me a lot! I like $$ and would like to know if any of you guys are using services like this, what %s you get per month and what kind of cost the customer is looking at for something like that. and if it is a good idea for this system, where should i start to look for this

(3) ..idk, its late and iv been doing tooo much research and need sleep...lol ahhh any other suggestions or tips for me?

Thanks guys..and lady

Exacq is a reliable system and as a plus it has clients on Windows, Mac, and Linux (which is rare). If you don't want to invest in a huge storage server, get one with enough processing power to do the video and add an ISCSI device if needed for archiving(synology is my favorite). I've got Exacq servers that have been running without any problems with a couple of years (thank you Linux stability).

Another road to look down is Avigilon and Milestone. Since you have mostly done analog, Avigilon would be a good road to go down since it is fairly straight forward if you are not technically proficient in IT. As a plus their cameras are fairly economical.

Stay away from the cloud, with that many cameras the client will almost need 40Mbit/s upload with 32 cams. IMHO, cloud surveillance is not near ready for production use. If you want RMR look at doing a maint. contract or equipment monitoring via a network monitoring software and establish some sort of SLA (much lower overhead but requires some technical know-how). Most of the cloud providers offer low storage at a premium cost and the camera is required to have internet access to record video.

Side note, if you want to reduce your cost a little, you can get buy with running Cat5e since the runs won't be Gbit. Only reason I would run Cat6 to cams is if I expect interference (just my two cents). I would also recommend Axis over Vivotek if you can. Good luck w/ your project and let me know if I can help!!