Sign in to follow this  
SapperGB

Using No-ip and the like

Following my post in another section here

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=35293

I have had a play with my DVR which has a web interface to view remotely. Ive also found an app called iwatch dvr II which works on my nexus 7.... sort of.

Heres my problem.

I have no trouble viewing when I use my network internal address of 192.xxx.xxx.xxx:85

nor do I have a problem if my nexus is connected to my wifi and I use my external ip address of 31.xx.xxx.xxx:85 nor if I use my web browser pointed to my no-ip host

the app I have does not recognise my no.ip host. I think its because it changes my host to admin@xxxxxxx.no-ip.biz

if I use my web browser on 3G to connect to 31.xx.xxx.xxx I get to the DVR home screen which gives a link to download the viewing software (windows only). but if I try with the app on my 3G pointed to my 31.xx.xxx.xxx then it does not connect.

I have found that a potential issue is that when an app asks for the ip address/port then that connection (in a browser) takes me to the DVR's software download page which in turn provides a link to click, once this software is downloaded user details are entered here. but with the android app this seems to be bypassed when using the home network

any advice? ive tried a dozen apps.

to summarize,

using my IP address 31.XX.XXX.XXX with a browser is all good.

Using the app, admin@31.xx.xxx.xxx when connected to the same network - no issues.

When using 31.xx.xxx.xxx over 3g with a browser it connects to download the viewing app (dvremotedesktop - windows only).

when using 31.xx.xxx.xxx over 3g and using the app it does not work.

Your DVR probably uses more than one port, how many have you forwarded? It sounds as if 85 is your web port, and then you might have some more ports needed for the remote viewing. If those other ports have not been forwarded correctly, you won't be able to connect from outside the network.

I understand that lot is a little confusing, sorry about that.

I've now got access to my DVR both by using my internal 192. ip and also my no-ip host/redirect address using the app but only when connected to my network. I have tried again with my 3g and have no joy.

A friend can connect using the same app using his iphone but with a different mobile provider.

there 'may' be issues with my mobile network or the app itself i'm still working on this.

the video below (sorry no link again) shows the exact same config. menu for my DVR. if anyone has any ideas on a suitable android app that would be great (ive tried dozens from the market)

QtZ4N7e1tbk

Your DVR probably uses more than one port, how many have you forwarded? It sounds as if 85 is your web port, and then you might have some more ports needed for the remote viewing. If those other ports have not been forwarded correctly, you won't be able to connect from outside the network.

thanks for that. As per my last post, I changed some ports (the DVR wanted 80 as standard - I had selected 85). I have changed the ports to 9000 and get better response from xxxxxxxx.no-ip.biz:9000 and can reach the DVR web interface which prompts me to download the viewing software - but this is only good for windows - this can be done from outside of my network so it appears that the port forwarding is fine.

the app just times out when trying to connect to the same address, but only when the app is using anything other than my home network to connect, within my network and using the same no-ip details it is fine.

*Edit*

I think I have just grasped what you are saying. Going by the above, the web interface is open to port 9000 where it downloads the software, but the software itself may require another port. I have however managed to get a friend to connect from outside the network using the same app on his iphone.

/

*further edit*

I have ran a port check and the dvrremoteviewer software (web based interface) when connected uses port 9000 so the correct ports are open