Sign in to follow this  
spadjen

need help with camera selection

Looking at replacing a analog system i have now with IP cameras. Have a very tight budget. Talking $150 that can maybe be stretched to $200. not $201... i know what i am going to get.....but it hast to be or its nothing at all.

anyway. I want something that is 2 megapixel and up, low light, 1080, poe, etc. i found DH-IPC-HDB3200C. Like it.....looks good great reviews for the price. but i have some areas with no light. some areas have object quite far that would require a external ir illumination. so that got me reading about ir cut filers, day/night cameras, lux, and digital filters. i have a headache. anyway. Here is the pdf for this camera:

http://www.dahuasecurity.com/download/133611862242187700.pdf

Based on the specs do you think this camera can be used with IR? I herd some cameras are now using electronic handling of day night rather then IR Cut Filters. do this mean that that can see and use IR illumination?

I prefer the dahua camera listed above but my fall back camera with IR Cut Filter is the IPS-912. I cant find much info on the camera. I only have an amazon link to it. so i will copy and past the specs too at the end of this email.

http://www.amazon.com/IPS-912-Waterproof-Network-Security-NightVision/dp/B00BIZ4ZGQ/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=MK2KZCS21IYM&coliid=I2OOTVEX0SA9AC

I would like your overall opinions on the 2 cameras as well. I open to other suggestions . but for my first 3 cameras i am limited to amazon since I have a card there. Partly the reason for two choices.

Are you saying $200 PER camera? Or For everything....

If it's PER camera, Why not look at the swann 1080P cams recently posted at 2 for $349 from costco....

That's $175 a cam and they look fine for low budget cameras....

If I'm not mistaken that camera you posted is like $150 or $180 I thought....

per camera yes. It would be nice if i could get everything for $200...lol. I did see that swann system. I have the 600tvl swann now and looked at there new hd cameras. only problem is i would like to use video analytics so i would need more flexibility at the server end. I would be using a PC for recording.

What I need is a PC suitable for this for $200 with video analytics software, the cameras are the cheap part. Don't know of 1080P IR cameras for less money than the Swann 2-pack at Costco.com for $349.

The less expensive way involves committing a crime

yeah i have been looking at thoes. looks interesting. i am stick on the DH-IPC-HDB3200C. anyone know if can be used with an external ir? i am not that familiar with external IR. is a ir cut filter necessary? or can other cameras handle it electronically?

That cannot be used with external IR. They are not IR sensitive. They do well with additional exterior light though, so if your areas are well lit, you could consider it.

Thank You. I kinda figured that. I live in the middle of nowhere so not much outdoor lighting. Having a hard time finding a 2mp camera in my price range ($200) with ir. Dont mind adding external IR lights but flood lights may draw attention in the middle of no where. both from people and mosquitoes .

Huh, you are having a hard time, yet we pointed them out to you. Maybe you didn't do the math correctly. If you get two cameras for $349, divide by two to get the unit price, so $174.50 each, say plus say 8% sales tax, that's $188.46 and that is less than $200. If you only want one, find someone here to split the deal with you.

Dont' get Swann, order the HikVision version. HikVision is about double the sized company that Dahua is. But if you want Dahua, get the IPC-HFW3200S, you can get it for just under $200 + shipping, is small 1080P IR bullet like the Swann.

If you want a dome, get an IR dome, the best value for a real name brand supported in the U.S. is the ACTi D72, 3MP, should get it for a few dollars more than the Dahua without IR and it comes with NVR software, free that's quite good.

I just emailed her and will try that first. I like the dahua. is the ACTi D72 sensitive to IR? I have almost no lighting outside.

The D72 is an IR dome camera, has LED illuminators built in, day/night IR cut filter. Really not a bad value for 3MP IR dome. I did my review on the E32, which would have the same sensor, just in a dome shape. When you consider that it's day/night where the HDB3200C is not, it has LEDs which the HDB3200C does not, it has the choice of 1080P or 3MP where the HDB3200C is only 1080P, ACTi is a supported brand where the Dahua is not, it's actually a better bargain.

I worked in sales, but they have these things called quotas that are annoying. I now work in marketing, it's like sales without the quota, lol.

I buy my cameras through a distributor for projects, GSSDVR in Virginia, they carry all sorts of brands, Mobotix, ACTi, Vivotek, Messoa, Brickcom, Axis, Flir, Geovision, Arecont, Bosch, Sony.... You have to be an integrator or reseller to buy though. What's ironic is the owner is from China and he doesn't want to carry Dahua because support is so poor. So what ends up happening is only the really small guys carry Dahua because the larger distributors won't. Don't get me wrong, I like the cameras, but unless the company steps up and provides full factory service and support for the U.S. market, I won't use them.

ok. i am going to keep looking around for the best price. i think you have me sold on acti. I was looking at the E53. It is alittle out of my price range ($279) but has WDR. whit out knowing actual camera placement do you think WDR is a must have? if i could find it alittle lower i would jump all over it. but i may have to give up that one feature.

The E53, I didn't know you wanted an indoor camera, my bad. Then get the D55, same camera without the WDR. In most cases WDR is not needed and you can turn contrast down to get a similar effect.

I need both indoor and outdoor. thanks for the head-up on the WDR. that will save me some. As you can tell i am not that knowledgeable yet so thanks for the help. I am moving from an 600tvl analog that i had for 1 month. cant stand it and after 2700 email alerts in 1 week back it went.