HiddenMountain

CCTV biz "booming"...

As the world sat transfixed on the events in Boston last week, the one thing that kept coming to my mind was that almost all of the images that we were seeing came from CCTV. It showed the public that when it counts, the "big brother" cameras are pretty dang handy. There is no doubt that the suspects were being tracked, even though at the time, no one knew that they were the suspects. That is the beauty of CCTV. Hours or days later, the images collected suddenly become the all important "key" to solving these crimes, or what have you...

Here is a nice boost for our industry from a Florida newscast...

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/Central-Florida-security-camera-business-sees-sales-boom/-/1637132/19818930/-/to911f/-/index.html

" title="Applause" /> " title="Applause" /> " title="Applause" />

I imagine some will see it simply as further erosion of privacy.

Which it is. Did it prevent the action from happening - NO. So while Government (big brother) like to promote the line that it will make you safer , in fact ALL it does is allow them to catch the perpetrators AFTER THE EVENT. Those that died derived NO safety from it

The safety is provided to those who DIDN'T die from future attacks because the brothers got caught and the deterrent of those who might not do such things in the future because these particular scumbags didn't get away with it. There's not a lot of glory to be found when your brother drives OVER you trying to save his terrified @$$ after finding out that there are real consequences to being a total piece of garbage. Life isn't a video game and the cops WILL get you. Thanks CCTV!

The safety is provided to those who DIDN'T die from future attacks because the brothers got caught and the deterrent of those who might not do such things in the future because these particular scumbags didn't get away with it. There's not a lot of glory to be found when your brother drives OVER you trying to save his terrified @$$ after finding out that there are real consequences to being a total piece of garbage. Life isn't a video game and the cops WILL get you. Thanks CCTV!

I'd like to think that too , but it seems that more and more of these events are carried out by people who don't care that much about being caught.Yet the government keeps pushing the line about them protecting your safety. It's more about making their job easier after the fact.

I'm not a fan of Big Brother but I don't mind security cams in public places. They probably won't do much to deter suicide bombers the way they are used now. Although it gives me the willies in a lot of ways, picture a street full of people wearing Google Glass linked to Google servers running facial recognition software. Now picture drones with 29mp Avigilon cams doing flybys of terrorist camps and linking the images to Google. Or maybe a public database of registered sex offenders linked to your daughter's (if you have one) Google Glass with her DiddlerDetection (TM Kawboy12R 2013) app running while she's at the mall, walking to school, at the park, or wherever. Don't laugh, it will be coming in one form or another.