habsfan

Garage Camera Suggestions

I'm looking to get a camera for my garage that will run with Blue Iris. It is a 1 car garage with a storage area and regular door off to the right. I'm hoping if I mount it in the far left corner, I should be able to capture both doors and all windows but I wasn't sure if a dome or bullet would be best. I would like to keep the cost around 150-200. I can post a pic or detailed dimensions if it will help.

Why not try the ESC-HDB3200C 2mp non-ir dome cam. It's gotten good reviews and can be had for around 150.00.

What is the lighting situation?

Other than when I open the door, lights are always off. As for sunlight coming in, there are 4 windows on the garage door side and 1 by the storage area so quite a bit of light gets in during the day but I would need IR for night.

I have the Dahua mini IR dome, 1.3MP I was going to stick in my garage when I have time to wire it. Also, the ACTi E52 with WDR and IR illuminators would help with high contrast of a dark area with a bright window opening. As to dome or bullet, dome is less likely to get moved by accident.

I run two (2) of the Dahua IPC-HDB3200C 2.0 Megapixel (1080P) cameras in my warehouse where there is decent lighting. This camera is $170.00 (max) on Amazon. I think the video it puts out is teriffic.

Instead of futzing around with IR, which IMHO generally suQs, why not mount of these units in your garage. The light this unit puts out will give you very good video I think.

IR is kinda handy when the jerks that break in after dark forget to turn on the lights.

This is why I suggested using the Heath Zenith 200 watt motion sensing floodlight (in lieu of IR). For $75.00 you can blind the SOB and get good video of him squinting in the sun. So to speak. You know Kawboy, I ain't got a Qlue really: but it seems that everyone and his brother wants to spend "under $200" and I just don't think your going to get "ID quality" video with an under $200.00 IR camera. My suggestion is to use conventional motion dection flood lighting ($75.00?) and then get a Dahua IPC-HDB3200C which, in my ignorant foolish newbified opinion, streams pretty darn good video...when the lights are on. Total cost? $250. Video quality: pretty darn good imo.

I'm another fan of going with non ir cameras and either using standard lighting, motion lighting or external ir.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think the motion sensor light is a great idea. It will not only provide for better camera operation/identification, but also act as a deterrent as well.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think the motion sensor light is a great idea. It will not only provide for better camera operation/identification, but also act as a deterrent as well.

How about hooking a recording of this to the motion detection or the camera's DIO...seriously...This would scare the bejesus out of me if I was in a strange place where I didn't belong.