mikeg

I have sined

I have been reading for a couple months now.

Time I joined.

I installed my 1st home cctv 4 camera system in May. b/w, $30-50 each camera from SORRY! E-Bay. bad system.

Next I installed my second home camera system I asked other cctv users if they had extra cameras laying around and that too was not the answer, extra is extra for a reason. better system

Next I installed my third system and bought all new color low lux cameras $125-160 each from E-Bay again. still better then my other two cctv systems but not great

This learning curve has tought me, this is not as simple as it looks.

I can now help the newbies out there and write a book "cctv for dummies".

I would like to install my 4TH and final system with your help, one camera at a time.

I am looking for a black domed color camera, with low lux.3.8-6mm adj range. non vandal proof. direct sunlight is a problem in the winter afternoons, just found this one out. so I need an auto iris? no led's or ir needed, I keep a 40-60 watt bulb on 60'-80' in front of camera's image and I have a great night pic with low lux. and next to the camera's is a seperate ir light from those cheap cameras that I left on.

This is to be used on 150' of rg6, copper center, 60%aluminum braid coverage, 100% aluminum bonded foil. do not know sweep test.cannot change it.

How did I do? any suggestions .. thanks

You learned the hard way just as many do, nothing to be ashamed of for trying to save a little money. In this industry, you "get what you pay for" that is for certain. Cheap cams 99% of the time = cheap picture quality. Same goes with recording equipment.

First of all, what are you using for recording equipment? This information helps for determining if the system will even support the camera quality you could potentially use. No need to hookup a high end camera to a SWANN baby monitor with B/W and low res. display in other words. That's almost as logical as putting $5000 chrome spinner wheels on a 1979 Cutlass that burn oil, makes no sense.

The cabling could be better which can cause a drastic improvment in your video quality. If you can use 95% copper braid RG59 or RG6 would be much better. NOT THE HOME DEPOT stuff, it is garbage and you wind up paying twice what it is worth if not more. Dealers in here can supply cable to you that will spec out and deliver the goods.

The camera you are looking for sounds like a standard indoor varifocal dome with AI. Lots to choose from there. You can go with a major brand name, or go OEM (non label, private label) solution. Really depends on your budget per camera you want to stay within before I could make a recommendation. You mention that you get direct sunlight. Unless you are using WDR (Wide Dynamic Range) type of dome, I would suggest moving the camera. Even with AI function, direct sunlight is always going to be a problem area. Relocate the camera so that it does not focus directly at a window if at all possible. I think many others in here will agree on this one.

You got the right idea on just using lighting if at all possible in your area of coverage. Adding lighting if you can is always the best way to get a superior picture versus going with low cost IR bullets and stuff like that. Besides, you get a much better camera when you don't pay for IR with it. A true IR deployment is done using seperate IR Illuminators and they are not cheap if done correctly. Stick with adding extra lighting whenever possible if the application allows for it.

Scottj

SONY 1/3" Interline transfer type color CCD Camera

- DAY & NIGHT FILTER CHANGEABLE MECHANISM Built-in

- NTSC System: 768H x 494V (380k Pixels)

- Shutter Speed : 1/60 ~ 1/100,000 sec

- REAL 470 TV Lines (Day), 510 TV Lines (Night)

- Dimension 5.5"(D) x 4"(H)

- ATW/AWB selectable

- Minimum Ilumination: 0.5 Lux/F 1.3(Day), 0.03 LUX (Night)

- 10~15V DC, Max 170mA

- Includes 12V 1000mA DC Power Adapter

This is the 1st camera I would like to replace. the color pic was very grainy, low lux was very grainy but pic was bright! with 40 watt bulb, focus was not great.

Perhaps it is the cable? I only use snap and seal, t+ b fittings so rule that out.

The grainy effect is probably the camer primarily, although as I mentioned before it helps having the other type cable to eliminate noise in the video. I myself prefer crimp connects over snap-n-seal, but that is just a matter or personal preference.

I have cameras that I think would fit your needs. Shoot me a PM with your email address and I will send you a spec and price on a couple options for you.

Scottj

is the poor pic at the camera or at the DVR....end of the cable? compare the 2 pics and you'll have more info...............