DreamCatcher

What system could be used for my needs?

Hello,

I'd like to set up a small camera system in my apartment. I'm not even entirely sure if CCTV cameras are the way to go, but this would be used for a maximum of 8-12 hours when I'm not home once a day. I've seen a few surveillance systems in my local stores, but they run upwards of $400 and start from around $250 and they don't even meet the cable length requirements. I'd like to have 3 cameras in total, the problem is with finding cables long enough to hook up to the PVR box. I estimated the lengths of two sets of cables to be around 100 ft long, to go from the camera, around the top corners of the ceiling and then into a separate room so the box is not noticeable out in the open.

I'd of course like them to have motion sensors so they are not on at all times. I'd like a system that I could get back home to and check the storage device for anything it recorded; nothing overly complex. Would a wireless system prove more convenient? Based on what I'm sort of looking for, is there any system or anything at all you guys could recommend? Any alternatives or ideas you could recommend?

*This is one system I was talking about, but I dont want to go get it just now.

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3702444&csid=_61

(Proximus P16-41438-R Security Camera System)

I've read other posts in where someone buys one type of system and a forum member then says to buy a real camera system. Can no one do something similar here? Can someone advise me based on experience with using other camera systems or being in a relevant field? I just dont want to go out and buy a system that I later find out to be poor in quality and control.

http://www.costco.com/Lorex-8-Channel-Full-HD-PoE-NVR-Security-System-with-2TB-Hard-Drive-and-4-HD-1080p-Cameras.product.100035609.html

Sorry, but there's not a lot of excitement on here for ultra-cheap analog DVR systems. You WILL be happy with the video quality of the above system, and it comes with 100' cables and Costco's excellent warranty and return policy.

Check out this guy's system if you want cheap, but note the 60' cables and HD not included. 100' cables are available for about $15 online though. The same system is available through Newegg for a bit more money if you want to buy from a more well-known company.

I've read other posts in where someone buys one type of system and a forum member then says to buy a real camera system. Can no one do something similar here? Can someone advise me based on experience with using other camera systems or being in a relevant field? I just dont want to go out and buy a system that I later find out to be poor in quality and control.

Your first and last sentence in this post is NOT describing a complete all in one box kit that costs under $500. These systems can be fine with limited use and NO expectation of reliability or quality. Analog CCTV systems can be reliable and quality surveillance solutions and most importantly for budget sake be LOW COST. However a decent brand name analog system will probably cost you just as much if not more for than what these new Costco IP megapixel systems are selling for. Do your homework and also don't let things like cable length determine what system you buy. The tools to terminate coax or network wiring are cheap enough to buy for limited or one time use and you can make cables to the appropriate length. You could also get a local shop to do this fairly cheaply for you if you are unsure of making them.