Bouci

Outdoor dome camera setup, ACTi?

As an alternative to the PTZ-based configuration that has it's own thread here, I am also considering another setup based on 5mp outdoor domes. Less than 5 megapixels won't cut it at all, because pixels per face width drop drastically with distance. Lighting will not be a problem as there will be many LED-floodlights (250W halogen equivalents) lighting the area.

I was looking at ACti domes and calculated that a setup of eight domes would be needed, four E73s and four varifocal E83s. I am assuming that these can't be controlled by external PIR detectors? If they can't be activated by PIR, it means I would have to rely on video monition detection and maybe run some of them continuously (prepared to have up to 3 TB storage so should be good enough for about three days of 24h footage from all 8 cameras at 15 fps, max mp). Another question mark is cold tolerance because they are listed only as low as -20 C. If anybody has experience of them working in lower temp than that, I'd like to hear.

Are there other alternatives in the same quality/price environment? Mobotix would be great but are too expensive as so many would be required.

Edit: the Vivotek FD8372 seems to fit the bill pretty well. It is more expensive, though. Dahua does not seem to have anything in this range - their domes are rated only to -10 C which absolutely will not do.

I'm currently looking at getting a few combinations of E74's (new) and D82's myself.

I have been in contact with a Canadian ACTi rep whom assures me (today) that these two models are actually rated to -40 Celsius. Apparently the product spec sheets will be updated with the proper low end temp rating at the end of this week or early next week.

Apparently this rep has pushed ACTi to test their camera's in colder temperatures for outdoor applications in Canada; And they have proven to work to -40 Celsius but apparently it takes time to update all marketing spec sheets.

The spec sheets for the E series currently state they are rated to -20 but this will be updated to -40 very soon he said.

P.S. I asked Buellwinkle to try and review these two models (E74 & D82), and he will apparently inquire with ACTi. If anybody has or knows of any reviews of these models, please let me know!

I've got D82, so I can make some videos for you, what kind of videos you need?

Great! - could you post 1-daytime and 1-nightime picture plus one quick nightime clip?

I'm particularly interested to know if you're encountering IR dome bleed with this model.

How do you like this model? Knowing what you know now and using first hand, would you recommend it?

The specs meet my critieria but I can't find any reviews on it anywhere. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

And Bouci, sorry for hijacking your thread.

I'm currently looking at getting a few combinations of E74's (new) and D82's myself.

I have been in contact with a Canadian ACTi rep whom assures me (today) that these two models are actually rated to -40 Celsius. Apparently the product spec sheets will be updated with the proper low end temp rating at the end of this week or early next week.

Apparently this rep has pushed ACTi to test their camera's in colder temperatures for outdoor applications in Canada; And they have proven to work to -40 Celsius but apparently it takes time to update all marketing spec sheets.

The spec sheets for the E series currently state they are rated to -20 but this will be updated to -40 very soon he said.

P.S. I asked Buellwinkle to try and review these two models (E74 & D82), and he will apparently inquire with ACTi. If anybody has or knows of any reviews of these models, please let me know!

This is crucial information for me, thanks! I like being able to trust the cameras fully, even in this sub-arctic climate (the arctic circle is very close to this place).

ACTi have updated their spec sheets today.

I verified a few models and indeed it now lists:

Operating Temperature -40°C ~ 50°C (-40°F ~ 122°F)

Korgoth Of Barbaria - are you able to provide some info on the D82???

As per ACTi's recently released newsletter:

After extensive testing to support applications in the northern tier, and specialty locations we are proud to announce that our Discovery and Essential series Outdoor models now feature extended low temperature range capability. All D/E l Bullet and Vandal Dome models (D/E3x, 4x, 7x, 8x) listed for operation down to-40°C/-40°F!

http://www.acti.com/eNewsletter/2013/monthly_enews/April/ACTi_eNewsletter_April_2013.html

Ok, I've made those videos that I promised.

Here is day video, wide-angle, and little bit zoomed in to narrow the scene.

1_hDtrkDg0E

I think that my SD card is too slow for this cam

I'm exporting night shots right now - I've made some examples, like how it looks like with, slow shutter, normal shutter and fast shutter. Need to upload them on youtube, will update this post soon

Thank you...that's great. I cant wait for the night shots. Can you take some night shots in low light. Im looking at ditching my swann system and going with acti.

Thank you...that's great. I cant wait for the night shots. Can you take some night shots in low light. Im looking at ditching my swann system and going with acti.

Sorry, I can't put down those street lights

But this friday I'm helping with major system, there will be some D32 and D82 cams there, so I will make videos.

Kogorth, seems like you have the same problem that I ran into with the newer varifocal cameras. Apparently during early production they made a mistake on lens alignment or early versions of the cameras, a curse for us that have to be first kids on the block with the shiny new toy. If you send it in, they can adjust the lens and all will be well. If you haven't noticed, the right side of the image is out of focus. People ordering now shouldn't have that problem.

Kogorth, seems like you have the same problem that I ran into with the newer varifocal cameras. Apparently during early production they made a mistake on lens alignment or early versions of the cameras, a curse for us that have to be first kids on the block with the shiny new toy. If you send it in, they can adjust the lens and all will be well. If you haven't noticed, the right side of the image is out of focus. People ordering now shouldn't have that problem.

You are right, I checked my new cams, and they are ok. Strange thing

And here are some night shots. I've made that one for one of our clients, he always complains that he is not happy with image quality but he never tries to change settings on them.

uy55rNDqGqM

I have a D82 in a box here. What settings do you use? For example, AE reference target, contrast? I know it creates more noise, but I find 1/30 max auto exposure is that I use.

You are getting fancy on youtube with dramatic music and graphics, nice.

Yeah, I also used auto exposure and shutter 1/13 or 1/25 on my previous videos. More noise, but no motion blur and more details.

But now I tried to play a little bit more with settings, so I used manual exposure to get best looking video. Then I set contrast and brightness.

I know that this makes day video look like poo, thats why I used CGI commands and camera events to make 3 different configs that are automatically changed at night/day.

What you think about that idea?

And about videos, I'm just playing with Adobe After Effects trying to learn something new

I was thinking of that myself. I would still use auto exposure, but set the AE reference target during the day say at 128 to get a nice bright picture and then lower it to about 80 at night to reduce noise. Also, set WDR higher during the day than that night (not on the D82, but the E84/E72 domes I'm also testing).

Do you do this as an event where you send an URL command back to the camera? For example, an event trigger by switching to night mode, then issue an URL command back to the camera to change exposure settings.

Do you do this as an event where you send an URL command back to the camera? For example, an event trigger by switching to night mode, then issue an URL command back to the camera to change exposure settings.

Yup, exactly. You can put all setting in one URL, like WDR, Exposure, shutter, brightness, fps and so on.

CGI commands are great, you can do almost everything with them