volito

Residential System From Scratch

To start I like to say TY to anyone that helps on this project in advance. I am looking to add a system to my home for few reasons but mostly for IN CASE something ever happens.

I did some research but more I read more confused I get in making a decision. Basically I would like to build a system piece by piece so I can add as I go. I would like a PC with card as I am kind of a gadget kinda guy and like to play with electronics and form my point think it has more options as settings, upgrades. Understand about ad ware and viruses but going to be dedicated to surveillance no browsing or software downloads.

I am thinking up to 16 cameras or possibly 32 "not sure yet" going to upload pics as I see members give location advise also which is awesome.

I am familiar with GEO had a system of theirs and was pretty happy with it open to options.

FPS I understand need to be 30FPS per camera to get best motion on play back which I had issues with in the past never satisfied with quality on playback. Also understand color is better for night and day "might be wrong"?

zooming in and getting a plate or face also has been a nightmare on previous system. Therefore looking to build a system one piece at a time adding cameras as budget permits. So I like to get the best PC,standalone, FPS cameras for my needs. Obviously Ill start with PC/standalone and at least one camera

wow long post- was looking at GEO system through a third party but notice there PC's are way over priced and cheap cards. So might just get my own PC and pick my own setup such as RAM, video card, HDD ETC....I have some knowledge about networking so also on fence with IP/analog or analog with boulons "think that's right" coax to IP ....

TY stop here see where it goes Ill try and get a pic up of house from front then will add more as we progress.

To all that contribute to this forum I thank you again...I am also a forum guy that gives back when I can

Edited by Guest

PS there is a whole driveway and much more to cover so I think 16 or 32 will be needed "not sure"

Unless you have a ridiculously large home, 32 channels is overkill. I have a 3500 sqft home, and my 16-channel system is overkill... most people make do with four or eight channels.

ok Not sure how man yet just getting started on this...Notice companies on web push what they carry and most carry GEO...

TY

IMG_2813.thumb.JPG.96886220c71508479f64dc12ab2e67aa.JPG

I would do at least three cameras across the front.

I'd go to the left of your front door, looking toward the driveway (to cover the door and the front walkway). I also put one on the front-right corner of that house to cover the driveway. And I'd do one on the left corner of that house to give area coverage of the front yard.

Makes sense ip or analog? Nvr or pc with card or stand alone.

Do cameras come with manual 4x 8x zoom or have to change lens ? How about brands geo good seems most online stores pushing geo? Any online store recommended il call and pic there brains but always seems they advise what they want to push off the shelves.

TY for input

I lean toward IP... with PC-based NVRs.

You have to look at your specific camera, but some come with vari-focal lenses (where you can change the zoom), and some are fixed-focus.

I don't recommend buying into anybody's specific brand or "system." Some companies have excellent cameras in some areas, yet they suck in other areas. Going with a software-based NVR (eg. Milestone, Luxriot, Exacq, etc) gives you the luxury of picking from a variety of cameras and manufacturers. This allows you to tailor your installation to EXACTLY what you want.

This, however, presupposes that you KNOW what you want.

As a general rule, I avoid system-in-a-box deals. They tend to all be packaged with the same generic cameras... and any experienced installer will tell you that there is no one-size-fits-all camera.

Think I am going to go with IP's and NVR but was thinking of purchaing a NVR box instead of PC's figuring there just as good but without options of an OS.

Is NVR software equal to PC based software?

How about the companies CoSTCO carries? Q-See, AvertX, Swann, Lorex,

Thanks for input....

more I read more confused lol searching what you advised

My problem with proprietary "box" DVRs is that you're locked into somebody's brand, or software.

With a regular computer or PC, you have complete control over the OS, the software, and the hardware. You can add hard drives easily. You can put in a RAID. You can change out the motherboard or processor if the system is getting too heavily-loaded with motion-detection or video analytics. You can change network cards if you need a better connection (or you want to team several cards together).

In short, you have all the power, and all the flexibility. Not so with proprietary NVRs or DVRs.

makes sense and also I noticed using a PC you get better bang for your buck. Now next question I see capture cards for BNC analog don't think I seen one for IP - Cat 5 - RJ45 does it need to be converted with the adapters? does the companies you mentioned have the cards? basically how to tie i the runs of all cameras rj45 into PC ?

Thanks again

if I go with Milestone NVR software on my own PC "with system requirements or above" I run cameras "compatible" add to my Home Private network and software will detect and record ?

Assuming this will slow down my network for regular browsing correct ? and PoE switch for power ?

TY sorry if this is basic questions new to IP cameras Had a geo analog system before.

if I go with Milestone NVR software on my own PC "with system requirements or above" I run cameras "compatible" add to my Home Private network and software will detect and record ?

Assuming this will slow down my network for regular browsing correct ? and PoE switch for power ?

TY sorry if this is basic questions new to IP cameras Had a geo analog system before.

You should know you need a lot of bandwidth for IP cameras and a processor and video processor that can display everything. I use CAT5e but I might have gone with CAT 6 even though its lots of wires coming into the house. I'm a DIY'er too and got my start here. The networkcameracritic dot com reviewed the Dahua (NVR3216) 16 channel system. I would check out his review. I made the mistake of buying an expensive Dahua DVR that does not have the power to display IP cameras. I can see my eight cameras, 4 IR bullet, 3 2.0MP IP cameras (Dahua), and one 1.3MP network speed dome with the Dahua PSS software on my ASUS G73S laptop which is a gaming machine. It uses less power than my desktop. I also use an eight port, four PoE and four PoE plus switch made by ZyXEL (all my specs are mentioned in my post above and elsewhere here) with great success. The analog cameras was the other mistake - the pictures are poor (outdoor) compared to the IP cameras. I weather-proofed my cameras as best I could from rain and debris and ran CAT5e to the IP cameras and CAT5e to the analog cameras with balun on each end and wall warts. The speed dome required a wall wart and CAT5e to get it functioning. I still have an issue with alarms not set up yet and camera LED lights staying on all night but it is one step at a time. I started with only rudimentary knowledge of computers and very little knowledge of networking. I could still use some help but with over $5K into the project we busted the budget about $3K ago. I also suspended my CAT5e with black vinyl covered wire rope (1/8th" inch) from tree to tree in a forested area 18 feet in the air. In my case, the problem lives next door so the cameras are a stop gap measure until nature takes its course or the Navy transfers him.