I have a house that has a privacy fence around it and on one side of the fence is trees. I sometimes park a vehicle on the other side of the trees, so mounting a camera to the house will not be able to see the car. I have considered mounting a camera to the side of the fence, but that will put it low and be able to reached by anybody. I considered hiding in a bird house but have since realized that may not work either. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to mount a camera so that it would see the vehicles in case they egg my car again.

What's wrong with sticking a cam in a birdhouse, especially if the area is well lit? No IR needed that would blow the stealth approach. I'd either do something like that or mount a vandal dome or two.

The area is pretty dark do I am sure I will need IR. I am thinking if the camera is mounted in a bird house I would be limited to it jus shooting straight and I would need it to shot at angle because I will have to mount the camera toward the back of the fence to keep the trees from blocking the view. I have never heard of a vandal done so I will have to looking into that. Thanks.

A vandal dome is a dome camera that's made tough. Mount it well and they're pretty hard to remove. The plastic dome is extra tough, too. They can spraypaint it to block the camera but they can't adjust it from a distance with a snowball, rock, or whatever. They'll pretty much have to bring a crowbar to rip it down.

I like domes without IR. Cuts down on false positives from dust, bugs, fog, rain etc at night. IR from the camera lights up EVERYTHING and causes recording and false alerts. The two I use around the house are the analog VCM-24VF from CNB and the network P3364VE from Axis. Better be sitting down when you check the price on the Axis. It's a MUCH better cam than the CNB but you pay for it. The VCM-24VF is a good budget choice for low light but can't work miracles when it's dark. Both cams work with external IR illuminators if you can't add white light or don't want to.