Sign in to follow this  
PaulfromCT

Color Issue - Swann 1080p Bullet & Q-See 1080p Dome

I am a long time reader of this fantastic forum. I am stumped on a issue and would greatly appreciate some feedback on the attached photos.

On the left is a Swann 1080p bullet cam from Costco. EXCELLENT camera for the price. Amazing color representation and clarity. This camera is under a 24" eave midway through.

On the right is the Q-See 1080p dome cam from Costco. This camera is also under an overhang but a 6' one (Porch).

The first set of frames is when a cloud passes and the second is when it is sunny. As you can see when it gets sunny, the colors get all out of whack with the Q-see dome. Even when a cloud passes it doesn't improve too much. Is the Swann that much better of a camera or is it the camera positioning? I have played with all of the settings in the Q-see.

I like the dome because it is low profile and not as noticeable as the bullet, but the color representation in this situation stinks.

I am using Blue Iris for an NVR.

The front of the house is south facing.

Thanks for any feedback!

Sunny.thumb.jpg.94d0b1406b4764821d2da2fdb2acff25.jpg

1176647009_CloudPassing.thumb.jpg.25a59388c36faa549b2f9fd10e7cb4ed.jpg

Does the qsee have an IR cut filter? The only thing I've ever known to cause color problems during the day is the lack of TDN.

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking IR-cut as well as the colors reminded me of an old Foscam Day/night that didn't have an IR cut filter. But from what I have read, this cameras has a permanent IR cut and is a day only camera.

It may be that the qsee dome is just an inferior camera, especially considering you've tried tweaking all the settings, and assuming you know what you're doing enough to know that this is truly a limitation of the camera. In which case, maybe consider a different dome.

I've been pretty happy with the dahua 2MP mini dome. It's bare bones, but it's been handling things quite nicely.

Btw- that's NOT Adam Sandler.

Sun-shadow.thumb.jpg.882527d974c1539d72900dd4dcffe137.jpg

Shade.thumb.jpg.d3b82f51ad824357554f9a9074e56e70.jpg

Is this a Dahua dome?

I've been seeing the same discoloration on my Dahua HFW3300C, though not all the time, and there was another post recently on this as well.

It does look like when the IR filter is out during the day, which gives that purplish hue to everything. Unfortunately, there's no easy way to tell if the IR filter is in or out. You can try switching it manually to night mode, then back to day or auto, and see if the colors recover, but the other thread had some other changes that would fix it too.

ETA: Here's the other thread - similar to what you're seeing:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=35561

It may be that the qsee dome is just an inferior camera, especially considering you've tried tweaking all the settings, and assuming you know what you're doing enough to know that this is truly a limitation of the camera. In which case, maybe consider a different dome.

I've been pretty happy with the dahua 2MP mini dome. It's bare bones, but it's been handling things quite nicely.

Btw- that's NOT Adam Sandler.

I thought the Q-See 1080p Dome was just a rebranded dahua 2MP mini dome? Specs and software match up. When I had this dome where the Swann is now I never had this problem. I will check out the other forums, I couldn't find them when I searched (thank you for the links). I did have the same issue with my Dahua IPC-HFW2100 but that camera had IR and it was just the cut filter getting stuck. As far as I know the Q-see Dome has a permanent IR Cut.

I know these are cheap cameras, but I cannot afford (ahem spousal denial for $600 cams) better grade cams for my house where I don't get paid to sell/install them.

I tried all of those options in the link and I am still disappointed with the picture. I might replace the Q-See Dome with the new Lorex 1080p domes at Costco. It looks like the Lorex bullets are the same as the Swann bullets (which work great). I think I need some kind of WDR because of the shady porch vs sunny yard.

As far as I know the Q-see Dome has a permanent IR Cut.

It has no IR cut. It's not sensitive to IR at all. It has auto day/night and will go to b&w at night, but you need adequate white light to get a decent image in darkness. It looks like a rebranded dahua. You should check qsee and confirm you have the very latest firmware. Maybe that will help it.

I downloaded the "latest" firmware from the website and I went from a October 31, 2012 revision to a September 2012 revision. Oh well. The camera functions perfectly when cloudy . Hoping the WDR will improve the picture as there is quite a change in brightness from under the porch and in the front yard. Initially I wanted to avoid an IR cam because I have adequate lighting and MORE than adequate spider population.

Yes, that's a perfect thing to do if you have good lighting- no IR. If you get another camera, I highly suggest you take the same approach. Too much money for these things just for spider cameos.