wkearney99

What size box to use for intercom?

Im building a new house and pulling wire, in a hurry before the foam insulation goes in. Ive got two cat6 cables pulled to where i will eventually put an doorway intercom. Right now they're just pulled through a 1/2 flex conduit.

What i would like to know is what sized electrical box is typical for this sort of thing?

I could have that installed now and leave it covered pending the intercom install. Otherwise i will pull the wire back and put some sort of cover over the hole until later. I would prefer to have it recessed, not in a surface box. The area is made of pvc trim over the sheathing, so i wont have masonry to deal with later.

Huh, none base off a standardized thing like a 2-gang or square work box? Strange. You'd figure that would provide a pretty widely accepted format for installs. Then I suppose I'll just pull the wire back in and cut-in the rough when I get around to finding which intercom I'd like to use.

Be careful going with a recessed one. You may find that down the track if it needs to be replaced the old hole may be oversize & not suitable for the newer (and probably smaller ) unit.

The ones I use have a recessed section the size of a 2 gang box and the rest of the faceplate is a thin (10mm ) surface mount. Having said that I have seen some (video intercom) door stations that are only about 1"x1"x4" high. That certainly won't cover a 2 gang size cutout.