Sign in to follow this  
cgcmgr

Axis 215 PTZ Problem

Hi,

I hope you guys can help me. I had a problem with my 215PTZ last year. It seemed as if in hotter months the video feed would constantly go in and out. Eventually the camera died and I sent it to Axis for repair. They couldn't repair it, but offered me a refurbished one at 50% off so I bought it. I may have posted about this issue on here last year. The outdoor enclosure that the camera is in is a cheap no name. It has only 1 fan and a heater and no heat shield. I planned on adding a homemade heat shield and adding some fans the next time I was at my cameras, but I haven't been there since November.

The refurbished camera worked well for the rest of the year and all through the winter, but as soon as the warmer weather started to come it too started to have the same problems. Basically, I'm losing video feed over and over again. The video comes on and then off then back on and then back off. This started a few weeks ago when we had a few hot strong sunny days. I'm wondering if the direct sunlight and heat damaged the camera in some way. This last week it has been raining and cool and the camera still does the same thing, video feed on and off.

I use a program called BlueIris to view my cameras remotely and noticed that at night everything is fine. The video feed is perfect and there is no loss at all. However, once day comes (doesn't matter the temperature anymore) the video feed starts going in and out. In BlueIris, I can check camera statistics. I have the Axis 215PTZ set to 5 fps. At night it is always showing 5 fps. During the day it is a different story. When there is video, the fps is listed at .20 fps and the bitrate is 14.89. Once the fps drops below .20, the video goes out. Why would this happen during the day, but be fine at night?

I have a second Axis 215PTZ on my system setup exactly as the malfunctioning one (same settings) and it works fine. The only difference is it is in a very good outdoor enclosure and never in direct sunlight. I had planned on putting a heat shield over the malfunctioning camera and adding some small fans to aid in cooling, but I won't be at my camera location until this weekend. It looks like I'm a little too late. Is there anything I can do to see what is going on with the camera? It has the most recent firmware (4.49). Should I do a factory reset? I'm going to try to connect to the camera and get a server report.

One more thing, I pinged the camera using the command ping 192.168.x.x and got these results:

Reply from 192.138.x.x bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64

Packets sent=4 Received=4 Lost=0

Approximate round trip time in ms Min=0 Max=0 Average=0

I then did Ping 192.168.x.x -t and got the same as above except it kept on doing this over and over again (I guess that's what the -t command does) with a few exceptions. One time I got this Reply from 192.138.x.x bytes=32 time<4ms TTL=64

Three times I got a Timed Out Message.

Well it looks like I cannot currently connect to the camera so I can't get a server report.

Thanks,

Chris