f13dfx

URGENT help pls. Zyxel ES1100-8p Switch PoE no power :(

Had to use shortcuts on the subject line, but I need urgent help. Getting dark here fast but I have a PoE bullet camera from Empire and my switch PoE ports don't seem to be powering it up, although when I use a power supply, it works.

I also bought a PoE active splitter 12vdc and when I hook that up to the Zyxel switch the PoE ports aren't lighting up & neither is the active splitter's green light.

Are the ports in sleep mode cuz I left it plugged in for 1 week with nothing in them except for a connection on the normal ports to my cable modem.

This is a farily simple switch & a reliable one from what I've read.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Don't like this one as much my 16 port version which has the lights in the front and ports and switch on the back and is much smaller. But here's what happens.

1. plug in - nothing happens

2. turn on/off switch in the back to "I" position

3. green PWR light comes on

4. I plug it into my other switch on port 8, LNK/ACT port 8 light blinks in amber

5. I plug in a PoE camera lying around into port 1, LNK/ACT port 1 light blinks amber and PoE port 1 light is steady green

6. connect to camera, works, voila

Has this 802.3az on/off button, works either way but it appears that with it on, it supposed to manage power better but IDK.

1. plug in - nothing happens

2. turn on/off switch in the back to "I" position

3. green PWR light comes on

4. I plug it into my router on port 8, LNK/ACT port 8 light blinks in amber

5. I plug in a PoE camera into port 1, LNK/ACT port 1 light nothing happens and PoE port 1 light does not go on

6. camera does not work.

Gonna have to buy NetGear PoE switch locally to try out.

Our neighbor's car just got broken into today!

This is the only thing that's keeping me going on this project, otherwise I would have give up already!

Could be the camera, could be the cable, could be the switch. Since the act/lnk light does not turn amber, try plugging any ethernet device, for example, unplug your PC from the router and plug that into port 1, Does that still give you internet connectivity? Does the amber light come on? At least that would prove if the switch aspect is working.

There were 1 or 2 people that used 12V adapters with Dahua made cameras and then when they tried to use it with PoE it wouldn't work, so it may have damaged the PoE component. This is not that common because most here never even try and use 12v on their PoE cameras even though many are capable of doing so.

Well, I never even tried to use the 12VDC power adapter until I told Kyle the camera wasn't powering up over any PoE ports on my switch. That's when he said to use the power adapter, which worked.

Plugged my Asus 4G Surf netbook to PoE Port 1 and Amber light goes on. As a matter of fact, I'm typing this reply on my netbook now!

I assume that you have tried different cat5 cables?

10/100 ethernet only requires 2 pair. Cheap cables, or older 10/100 only cables, often didn't bother to connect all 4 pairs. You should look at your cable and see if all 8 pins are connected. You can also verify they they are wired to spec:

http://www.utm.edu/staff/leeb/568/568.htm

568B is more common but either will work as long as the cable is wired the same on both ends.

I believe I followed 568A spec. All cable & connectors were all brand new CAT5e. I also tried the ip camera before I installed underneath eave 20' up. Tried 3 different predone CAT5e cables I had accumulated over time, and ip camera failed to power up on any of the 4 PoE ports. Now the only thing I have that I could use besides the ip camera was a new Active Splitter that I had gotten off eBay to power up an AVTech AVN-807A (non-PoE) that I was waiting for. Don't know if the Green Light was supposed to light up on the splitter when connected to any of the 4 PoE ports, but it wasn't lighting up. Maybe it only lights up once you have a non-PoE device hooked-up to it, so I can't tell for sure if the splitter is working or not, but it wasn't working with the ESC ip camera. It could be possible that neither PoE devices are working too.

Anyway, I am going to bring my Zyxel switch to a dealer locally and test it out with one of his PoE ip camera models. Then I'll know for sure if it's the switch or something else.

Thanks for everyone's help & suggestions!

I assume that you have tried different cat5 cables?

10/100 ethernet only requires 2 pair. Cheap cables, or older 10/100 only cables, often didn't bother to connect all 4 pairs. You should look at your cable and see if all 8 pins are connected. You can also verify they they are wired to spec:

http://www.utm.edu/staff/leeb/568/568.htm

568B is more common but either will work as long as the cable is wired the same on both ends.

I used to use these, and my older ones were dead simple then they came out with a newer model that had a couple of power switches on it. One main one on the back, and another one on the front. I cannot remember exactly how they worked as mine are all out in the field now, but I seem to remember the front switch not working as I expected it to, I thought it worked backwards to how I expected it too. Been a couple months so I don't remember clearer sorry.

I do know that the front switch in the wrong setting caused POE phone to not work until it was changed.

I use the 16 port models now and have no issues, and no power switches!

Exactly, I was expecting a smaller simpler version of the 16 port I've had for a while, so I get a larger, more annoying version with 2 power switches.

Exactly what model of camera are you using....some of the first ESC-IPC-1 cams were plugged in wrong for the old POE using wires 1234 instead of 5678. I had to remove camera cover and simply move the 4 wire cable plugged into the POE board to the other 4 pin connector on the POE board. I also use ZyXel POE and it simply did nothing until I did the switch. They now are shipping with the correctly wired I might add.

Exactly what model of camera are you using....some of the first ESC-IPC-1 cams were plugged in wrong for the old POE using wires 1234 instead of 5678. I had to remove camera cover and simply move the 4 wire cable plugged into the POE board to the other 4 pin connector on the POE board. I also use ZyXel POE and it simply did nothing until I did the switch. They now are shipping with the correctly wired I might add.

Thanks for your help!

ESC actually confirmed that they were wired the way you described. I ended up getting the ACTi E32 instead. Worked right out of the box.