henrybeet

Some advice would be appreciated

Hi. I’ve wanted to install security cameras around my house for the longest time now. I’m having a hard time choosing, though. I’m not that familiar with complicated terms they use on Amazon and EBay so I was hoping I could get suggestions from you. I also welcome some advice on what specifications I should look for in finding the perfect CCTV cameras.

All I want is a simple CCTV system with around four or five cameras. I don’t want them to record the whole day, every day since I think that it would be very wasteful. I would also like them to be clear enough for me to recognize people (say, someone standing on my porch).

Thanks!

If you are going for facial recognition, the quality of the image will be mostly limited by the recorder, not the cameras.

Mjpeg is better for facial recognition. Mpeg4 is not good for facial recognition. Mpeg4 will only record changes from frame to frame. Which will degrade the image. Mjpeg will record individual frames. It will be hard to find Mjpeg. I believe Skybest has some recorders that use Mjpeg. If you have a PC based recorder, usually you can choose between AVI, Mjpeg and Mpeg4. If you put Mjpeg frame/second and quality to max, the hard drive may burn up in a month. Use a lower setting and/or place a second computer cooling fan next to the dvr.

I played around with VHS, but they have little storage capacity for high quality. The recording is deactivated when the tape is rewinding. I can't remember how good the image was.

You could also buy 1/3 inch sensor. If you want long range night vision. You might be better off with an intensifier camera. You can see people walking on the side walk. I've seen many put the cameras as high as possible. It will be harder to get a face shot with a high camera especially if they have a hat on. You will get the best view of the face, if you mount camera near face height. Or use a zoom lens from a distance, which will reduce the angle above the head. A disadvantage is that someone could be standing between the camera and the person of interest. Your camera might be tampered, if someone can reach it.

Don't forget to test for backlighting. If daylight is in the background, you may only see the shadows of people. I think they may have cameras that help reduce backlighting.

Kawboy, I am from New York..

rruuunnn, Thank you for opinion. I much appreciated it and still need advice from others so I can compare.

Henry Beet @ Needs a CCTV Cameras installed.