jisaac

High Resolution, what is the definition?

Is there a set number of lines of resolution that = high resolution? Or just a term over used alot? If so then I am going to start selling my cameras as high definition

410K Pixels is what the industry uses to gauge as "Hi-Res" so I have been told. However, I firmly believe much of it is just Hoopla and is a great method to practice prime marketing strategy.

Scottj

When a customer calls me up, and needs high res, its usually a camera with at least 480TVL. Standard res being 380TVL.

Or are you talking about pixels?

True, I usually refer to high res with 480+ TVL but the word doesnt mean anything anymore. You have a majority of people/businesses/manufacturers calling 380 TVL "No Name" CCDsensor cameras "High Resolution." When in fact they suck..and should be called crappy resolution cameras.

Another thing that really bugs me is companies claiming a camera is 480TVL Sony Super HAD CCD when in fact they are 420TVL Sony CCD. I have hard evidence on a couple different companies doing this. Its not fair to the consumer and they should be punished for false advertising.

Thats why I started this thread: http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=3344&highlight=camera+resolution

approximates:

Color = 470TVL

BW = 570TVL

Also, look for picture / image elements, or Effective Elements, H x V.

Typically a high res color camera (480TVL) can be 768H x 494V,

and medium res (380TVL) 542H x 492V ..

these vary a little up or down, and also alot of OEMs wont even list this in their spec sheets..

Rory

True, I usually refer to high res with 480+ TVL but the word doesnt mean anything anymore. You have a majority of people/businesses/manufacturers calling 380 TVL "No Name" CCDsensor cameras "High Resolution." When in fact they suck..and should be called crappy resolution cameras.

Another thing that really bugs me is companies claiming a camera is 480TVL Sony Super HAD CCD when in fact they are 420TVL Sony CCD. I have hard evidence on a couple different companies doing this. Its not fair to the consumer and they should be punished for false advertising.

Thats why I started this thread: http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=3344&highlight=camera+resolution

Lower end companies are pretty good at making their specs look good when the camera quality is not so good. Some will say they have a 1/3" Sony Super Had, but they fail to mention its a C -grade chip plus its S/N ratio is terrible.

Classifying camera resolutions shouldn't be that difficult, but then not many things in life were ever meant to be easy.

Any respectable manufacturer quoting 'x' lines resolution, would generally be accurate, provided of course that in the case of "high resolution" cameras, the lens fitted was actually capable of resolving to that degree. It is frighteningly common to find 480+ lines resolution cameras, fitted with poor quality lenses that effectively pull the performance back to standard resolution, or worse.

For any given resolution camera, for example 480 lines, if a comparison of imager pixels is to be made, it is important to remember that the actual picture element count will vary with EIAJ / NTSC against CCIR / PAL.

That said, I have to agree with most of what has already been posted in this thread.