salt11

reset DVR admin password

hi, is there any method to reset the admin password for the DVR below? I've got the permission from owner to reset it but only manage to reset the time by removing the coin battery several minutes. but still unable to login to admin account.

it's been years since the management of this condominium took care of it and they have lost the receipt and contact for the original supplier.

its model is DVR-8516E-AE. no brand name printed on circuit board also

the same method of removing coin battery was tested successfully with a normal computer motherboard, but not with this DVR. thank you for your help in advance

IMG_0214_.thumb.JPG.6687a1689ec06e7f9c264c0dcceb5f19.JPG

Your post would seem to imply that you were able to reset an admin password on a computer by removing the cmos battery, this is the name for the battery you are removing. This would not be true as the password would be written to the hard disk which is non-volatile memory and would not lose data during power outages.

In a computer the cmos battery provides enough power to keep the clock going.

You could try reloading the firmware but this might require you to login first.

I am quite sure that is a Shenzhen Skybest H8516 DVR. Check to see if the back and inside of your unit matches this pictures:

http://www.securame.com/grabador-dvr-skybest-h8516-16ch-video-16ch-audio-h264-lan-vga-hdmi-satax2-p-1106.html

Good luck geting any help from them, you are going to need it.

http://www.cn-dvr.com/en/

Hi, the back of unit matches the DVR. I've emailed to the company, let's wait for their reply.

Your post would seem to imply that you were able to reset an admin password on a computer by removing the cmos battery, this is the name for the battery you are removing. This would not be true as the password would be written to the hard disk which is non-volatile memory and would not lose data during power outages.

In a computer the cmos battery provides enough power to keep the clock going.

You could try reloading the firmware but this might require you to login first.

Thanks for correcting the name of batter.

The mentioning of computer motherboard was to show the steps which was successful on a computer motherboard is not working on this DVR, which only resets the date and time of DVR to 1/1/2000 00:00:00.

Do I need to format the hard disk of the DVR to remove the prompt of login screen on DVR? Because on the computer motherboard the prompt of login disappears as well as the password. After removing CMOS battery on computer motherboard I'm able to go to BIOS setting by just pressing F2 without any password

It may work it may not, it would depend on whether or not the DVR is storing the password in volatile or non-volatile memory. If it is in volatile memory then this password would be lost in the event the CMOS battery is removed, if it is not and it is coded into the ROM or other non-volatile memory then this would not be the case.

I would suggest if you are removing the CMOS battery you remove it and leave it removed for up to 24-48 hours.

If this does not work I would look for a JTAG port on the DVR and attempt to flash the unit.