keepsafe

Swann 1080p 2 Pack HD NVR IP Bullet Cameras - Do I need NVR?

Quick question, I want to know if I need a NVR for Swann - 1080p HD NVR IP Bullet Cameras? Reason is I want to use my computer or my Synology to do the surveillance recording rather than purchasing a NVR. Can someone confirm with me? It will be connected to my switch (network). Thanks.

Yes, I reviewed the cameras when they first came out and they work find without their NVR. I used with BlueIris with no problem. You just need to specify Hikvision when choosing the camera brand.

Yes, I reviewed the cameras when they first came out and they work find without their NVR. I used with BlueIris with no problem. You just need to specify Hikvision when choosing the camera brand.

Wow, thank you so much. You are very helpful!!!

Btw, I want to do these following:

- Records on motion sensor

- View anytime on the camera (but at non-recording state)

Will Blue Iris be able to do this or Synology?

No, these cameras do not have alarm inputs for motion sensors but BlueIris pretty good video motion detection, better than most cameras I've used. With BlueIris, you can view the recordings from it's PC interface, from a web browser or via their IOS and Android app. I heard some people like Synology, some hate it, I have not reviewed it yet so don't know but it's on my list.

No, these cameras do not have alarm inputs for motion sensors but BlueIris pretty good video motion detection, better than most cameras I've used. With BlueIris, you can view the recordings from it's PC interface, from a web browser or via their IOS and Android app. I heard some people like Synology, some hate it, I have not reviewed it yet so don't know but it's on my list.

Oh alright. thank you!

I got my Synology and I tried hooking this up.

It's asking for model, port, brand, username and password. I can't seem to find the exact model on Synology. How am I going to go around this?

It's asking for model, port, brand, username and password. I can't seem to find the exact model on Synology. How am I going to go around this?

Use one of the ONVIF camera options.

id: admin

Password is either 000000 or 123456

Use one of the ONVIF camera options.

id: admin

Password is either 000000 or 123456

Do I need a PoE? Because I am using a Dlink Dir-655 and I see the IP address showing on my router. I took the IP address and pasted into the browser. There's no login. I got a gut feeling my router is not supporting PoE.

That router doesn't have POE.

I bought a switch that supports PoE now but I returned the Swann back to Costco. Now, I want it back but problem is Synology doesn't have it listed as a support camera for their system. I dont even know if I can select a similar model for it to work or if it have to be the exact model to work on Synology Surveillance Station app.

I'm in the same position as the original poster as I intend to get the Swann 1080p 2 pack IP Bullet camera and use it with a PC with BlueIris software. Given that I already have a server/PC that is running 24/7 with plenty of storage is there any advantage to getting a package with a NVR? I realize I'll also need PoE injectors which should be simple/inexpensive.

Is there a strong consensus regarding using an NVR vs. BlueIris or similar software?

Here's the delio, the NVR with 8 channels with PoE uses 15W power according to the spec sheet + hard drives, so pretty efficient and can run all 8 cameras at full resolution and frame rate all for pretty cheap, about $350 plus a hard drive, say $400ish with a cheap drive.

BlueIris requires a good amount of processing power to run. Don't now how many cameras you have, but 2 1080P cameras at 30fps is no problem, may consume 20-30% of a modern day i5. If you step up to 8 1080P cameras, you probably need to dedicate a current generation i5 or older generation i7 for the 8 cameras. So if you are sharing this with an existing workload, it depends if you have capacity. The problem I ran into overloading BlueIris on a server is it loses frames, video gets choppy, so you want to make that never happens.

Also, as an alternative to both choices, you can run NFS on your PC, then have these cameras write directly to NAS and you use the camera's playback feature to play recorded video. I wrote up how to this on my blog. Not 100% sure you can do this with the Swann firmware, you may have to upgrade the firmware to Hikvision 5 firmware. The load of NFS on your server would be minimal. If your server is Linux or Mac OS X then it's already built-in, if not there's free NFS software for Windows, like freeNFS but I have not tried it.