blake

Residential NAS device WD,Seagate which is more reliable?

Trying to decide on a home NAS .I've read reviews till my eyes went crooked. The WD My Book Live and the Seagate FreeAgent seem to be the top two, but most reviews are saying don't buy.Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

That review sealed the deal for me!! I want to try this side of recording events to better understand the technology to offer customers another avenue.

hello

#for HD streams with high performance - SEAGATE SV35 Series

#for DVR and few ip cameras (HD also) - SEAGATE Pipeline HD Series (quiet)

i use SEAGATE Pipeline HD for my NAS also (DLNA, Movies, Photos, Music and ip cameras too).

good luck

For 24/7/365 operation take a 24/7 certified disk. The rest is not as important.

If you cannot find a 24/7 certified disk at least avoid the power saving green disks.

High temperatures and vibrations are hard to avoid in 24/7 use and a major source of problems and that is often not tested in reviews or performance tests. From WD the red or the AV-GP are good and built with that in mind. Other brands have good choices too.

If you want performance buy two nasses. The more streams on one disk the less performance you get. Or buy a managed NAS with its own internal buffering memory to avoid timing bottlenecks in the HDD.