ghurty

A few questions re the Mobotix Q24

We have been looking at the mobotix Q24.

A few questions:

1) Over all what are your experiences with it? We would be targeting putting it up on ceilings rather the wall mounted

2) What ceiling height is it practical to install that you would get a good overall view while still being able to see decent amount of details when zooming on playback?

3) Is there a different product that is along the same lines that is better?

Thank you

I put one in a meeting room, looks like smoke detector, works well to capture people entering from entrance on both sides of the room. It's mounted about 9' high.

Where it falls short is it's day only, so if you need day/night performance, the newer S14/S15 would give two discrete camera, one for day, one for night and they have hemispheric lenses.

There's equivalents from Axis, Geovision and ACTi that I know of. The Axis is indoor only, day only and 5MP, priced well, about $600ish.

How does the axis compare to the mobotix in quality?

How big is the room that you put it in? If the camera will be mounted 25ft high, will I still be able to see peoples faces?

Any videos of the s14/s15 in action? The info I can see on it, makes it look great.

Thanks

With any hemispherical camera you are limited how far you can be to ID or recognize someone. The room we had it in was about 15' square, had doors on either side and we were able to ID people that entered the room. The problem with 25' high is the angle to their face that will make it hard to recognize. Then you figure 25' is pretty far for a normal 3MP camera at the right angle with say a 75 degree viewing angle, not sure you will be able to identify anyone at that distance with any hemispherical camera.

Axis has the M3007, less expensive, more pixels, can't imagine it's bad but have not reviewed it because it has limited appeal.

The advantage of ACTi or Geovision is they are day/night cameras with IR cut filters, so you can use it at night with IR illuminators.

The S14 would be similar to the Q24 except the camera is a separate box from the lens so you can flush mount the cameras and hide the box. You get two cameras per box, so you can specify the lens and sensor separately, heck, you can have 2 day sensors, meaning 6MP total.

The S15 is confusing, it's a 5MP sensor but only displays 3MP. The advantage is they can do color with 4x the low light sensitivity as before. They are nearly out, but I'll try to get them or the D15 when it comes out to review.

I have both the Q24 and M3007 and I like Axis's image better but it depends on how you plan to use this camera. If you want a standalone system without a server then the Q24 is a better fit. If you plan to use third party VMS software then the Axis would be better.

Axis has H.264, 5MP imager and higher frame rate compared to the Mobotix camera and is about a 3rd the price.

Im looking at this camera for two needs:

1) As a camera to be used in restaurants or shops, allowing the owner to cut down in costs

2) Im attending a local B2B expo in the near future and I am looking for a camera that will show the wow factor of IP cameras vs analog. And setting up a camera like this in the exhibit hall, and letting the visitors play with it I think will be have an effect. Unless you think there is a better camera for that.

Thank You

You will find out quick this isn't the best camera for restaurants because most don't have enough light for this camera to function properly.

The best advice I can give you is don't sell cameras sell solutions. You can have have the best camera in the world but if don't have easy to use and reliable software you will have very frustrated customers.

As of now, I mainly use vivotek cameras. And when they what fancy NVR software, I use aimetis. But I'm always looking for more

You will find out quick this isn't the best camera for restaurants because most don't have enough light for this camera to function properly.

The best advice I can give you is don't sell cameras sell solutions. You can have have the best camera in the world but if don't have easy to use and reliable software you will have very frustrated customers.

What cameras are you happy with for restaurant/retail?

This all depends at least for me it does, I don't try and sell a 1 camera fits every solution, this is why I don't even stock many cameras, I find each job has a different set of challanges, so I usually order the cameras specific for the job.

Axis has their camera companion software which is free.

Avigilon for VMS and cameras.

How is Aimetis doing? I tested there software years ago and found it interesting but a little cumbersome to use. Have you sold any of the analytic licenses?

Ive been reading about Avigilon and it is on my to do list to learn more about them. I see a lot of demos of their high end devices. How are their lower end ones?

For the bulk of my installs the customer would rather have a few cheaper cameras rather than one or two more expensive ones. I have used the IPX-1700 series for when I am trying to cover a larger parking lot.

I have a strip mall coming up that wants cameras in their parking lot for liability issues. The front parking lot is about 355ft X 200ft, so I am thinking the Avigilon may be good for there.

Re Aimetis, it is a resource hog, but once you configure the stream properly, its not bad. I have probably set up 10 analytic licenses for it out of 100 regular licenses.