Hi Everyone,

I've just had my application approved to become an ACTi dealer here in Thailand. I just received the latest price list.

There is a huge different between the basic cam and the cam with Basic WDR. Around 3,000 baht, which is $100.

So for example, the E31 model is $100 more than the D31 model. The only different I can see is that the E31 has Basic WDR.

Is Basic WDR worth an extra $100? I'm trying to work out the range of cams I will sell to my customer.

Any advice is appreciated.

Cheers.

WDR is valuable where there's bright light and deep shadow, as many cams will either wash out the bright area or lose detail in the shadow. Without WDR, you usually have to reduce the contrast and tweak other settings like gain, which usually gives a less attractive image overall. A good WDR implementation will fix those problems while keeping the image vibrant and colorful.

Not all WDR implementations are good, though. Cheap cams like the Dahua and Hikvision have mediocre WDR. The Dahua's WDR looks a lot like reduced contrast in the day, but can improve the night image, while the Hik improves the daytime shadow performance but dramatically increases noise at night. If they let you load different profiles at different times, that would be a help, but they don't.

More expensive cams often have better WDR implementations, but if you can't find a good demo, you have to try it yourself.

In many cases you an lower contrast to get pretty close to what WDR does in these cameras. There's no magic, having WDR does not really increase dynamic range, it just makes brighter objects darker and makes dark objects lighter so you can see better in shadows. If you have very harsh lighting conditions, it may pay. Why not buy an E model and turn WDR on/off and see for yourself. I test this on my recent reviews of ACTi cameras.

Thanks guys, I've ordered both the D and E models to try them side by side. Just wanted your opinion on WDR.

Thanks again!

If they let you load different profiles at different times, that would be a help, but they don't.

Dahau just put out a FW update for the 2mp mini dome that does this but I haven't updated yet so I don't know if it just allows for bright/contrast tweaks or profile tweaks. I think it may be profile schedules.

There's two main types of WDR - one that is typically 'fake' and the other 'real'.

The fake WDR is often marketed as 'electronic WDR' and typically does a contrast adjustment.

However, real WDR uses multiple exposures (frequently, one fast to capture the bright areas and one slow to capture the dark areas), combining them to deliver both areas.

That said, most manufacturers offer both types of WDR. For instance, Axis calls one 'WDR with Dynamic Contrast' and 'WDR with Dynamic Capture.' Our testing shows that only the later is really worth anything. You'll see similar segmentation, though with different marketing terms, for many manufacturers.

I recommend you asking manufacturers specifically, "Does your WDR use multiple exposures?" That's the best way to get a clear answer. If it does not, it is probably not worth much of anything.

In my experience with the ACTi I like the WDR during the day a lot, it really helps certain shots out a ton. At night it is bad, makes for grainy video with so much shadow though. I wish WDR was able to be disabled automatically when night mode kicked in.

In the end for me, I have had to disable WDR on virtually every camera that has it except for a for a select few that are bright enough shots to stay in day mode all the time. If it was an indoor shot of a gas station or something with windows and there was a lot of light then WDR would be a must have I would think.