Sign in to follow this  
NSEW360

"All-in-One" or Build my own

Hi guys, need a 8 camera security system that will give me the highest definition (or close to it) available in today's market. My budget is approx $2500. Can I get that with an all in one package system or do I need to put together components to get the most for my money? I think I understand some basic things about cctv systems but my eyes quickly start glazing over when I start hearing some of the real technical jargon which is why I'm leaning toward a system package. Anyway, if anyone has any recommendations on where I should start I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

Things I have:

Lots of time and ability to follow directions.

Very limited electronics and video experience.

DSL service.

Things I need from my system:

Ability to "reliably" view images of decent quality over internet.

Great daytime image quality when viewing at home.

Acceptable night time image quality when viewing at home.

G'day,

Just a heads up, This site is full of cctv installers who are somewhat reluctant to explain exactly what you need, as most likely it affects their business which is understandable..

I was In a similar situation as you months ago and after a ton of research, scouring threads full of similar posts to this, with people getting vague or rude replies. But you can work through all that and there is a wealth of info here. I managed, & have a sweet setup now. A few months back I knew bugger all.

The end result is always the same on this topic, each individual install needs different gear, different lenses, different resolutions etc. Stay away from cheap Ebay stuff, Kits are easy but you will more than likely be upgrading the cameras pretty quick, so if you put in the effort and do some research before hand, you can save some cash in the long run.

Here's a helpful link: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=35868

2.5k will be scraping the surface for a top of the line setup, as all the good cameras start at $800 plus.

If you are going to give the install a crack yourself, you will need to research port forwarding, I.P addresses "general networking" especially if you want to view on your phone. I would probably suggest you getting either a hybrid DVR / NVR or just an NVR as you will get best resolution from a ip camera, but there are still some pretty good analog cameras & they are way cheaper.. I went for a hybrid as it offers more variety of cameras.

Good luck!

You can get an analog system in that range pretty easily, but IP stuff will be pushing it. I think you might get close to that, but off the top of my head I would say your budget is a tiny bit low.

You can get an analog system in that range pretty easily, but IP stuff will be pushing it. I think you might get close to that, but off the top of my head I would say your budget is a tiny bit low.

I agree, you may be able to get a swann IP package or something for that money but you will be limited, you surely will not be getting the best definition on the market for 2500$. Add a couple zeros and you have have the best definition on the market for 8 cameras.

I just did some quick math on an 8 camera IP system with 2MP bullet cameras, a 16ch. NVR, and a single 2TB hard drive. You are looking at a range between $4900 and $5500 plus installation. That included cable, connectors, junction boxes (for outdoors) and POE power sources.

Good luck with your search, but now at least you have some numbers to work with. Just for comparison an analog system of the same size (that I would be comfortable selling, supporting, or using at my own house) will be in the $1900 - $2500 range. That includes pre-made 100' cables, power supplies, junction boxes and 700TVL varifocal cameras with IR.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I guess I should have clarified that I'm just shooting for the best available in the typical consumer market. Possibly like those in the links below.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/07/samsung-techwin-hd-security-cameras/

http://www.swann.com/s/products/view/?product=1541

Are any of these worth considering for my limited budget or are they going to be more trouble than they are worth?