StanLee2066

IR Illuminators - best/standard installation method

I'm in the process of wiring 3 new camera installations. I've never used external IR illuminators, but would like to plan for the possibility.

My question is about the technique typically used to power these....

Are they normally powered 24/7? Only dawn to dusk using a light sensor? Does anyone bother to trigger them from I/O output from an IR motion sensor... or I/O output from the camera itself?

Thanks for any input!

OK thanks. Good post you made. I can see by your last comment that it's standard for IR illiminators to incorporate light sensors in order to auto switch on/off.

I think I do prefer the idea of white LED light, but I just want to give the IR a shot for comparison.

Thanks

I personally think IR is ****ty compared to white, you can get really cheap well designed/efficient normal white lights for bugger all, I found when we used IR that you get a terrible light spread.

would only want IR where the residents complain about the light, else we can get white lights that use the same power as LED IR and give a great spread etc.

I have new IR LED Cree bulbs from Home Depot I use in my porch lights and they are very good at night considering they are like 8 watts each. But IR lights are typically 12V or 24V, some higher end ones are PoE. If you are planning for them, when you run the PoE for the cameras, run the low voltage wires with it for future use. Most are setup to turn on with a photocell, so you power them 24/7 but they only come on at night. Good ones can make a big difference at night, lower noise and clearer image.

I have new IR LED Cree bulbs from Home Depot I use in my porch lights and they are very good at night considering they are like 8 watts each. But IR lights are typically 12V or 24V, some higher end ones are PoE. If you are planning for them, when you run the PoE for the cameras, run the low voltage wires with it for future use. Most are setup to turn on with a photocell, so you power them 24/7 but they only come on at night. Good ones can make a big difference at night, lower noise and clearer image.

yeah, that's what I'll probably do long term I think, use normal globe housings, just get a cheap timer/sensor that flips the whole IR circuit when it's dark

I've seen these LED Cree bulbs at HomeDepot too (not sure what you mean by 'IR'). They also have both white (cool) and warm light available. They're pushing them aggresively, and this brand seems to be bringing the prices down. What's nice about them is that their light intensity is instant. The CFL bulbs can take a few minutes to reach full brightness - you can really notice when you live in a cold climate. I'll be soon be replacing my two CFL over the garage, and single at the entrance with these.

I have run 16AWG cable to each camera. The outdoor kind used for 12v landscape lighting. This will easily power my IR motion sensor and a couple of 12v IR illuminators - dusk to dawn, OR 12v white LED illuminators that will powered with activity detection from the IR motion sensor. I'll experiment with both.

My bad, not IR, just regular looking white light bulbs, cheap & effective. What's good about LED white light is it works well with day/night cameras because it emits more IR wavelength than CFL bulbs I used to use.

I have to agree with the led light. My AVN813 is my first experience with white led light since the led is built in.I have it set to come on with pir motion on a time schedule.The one led lights up my whole garage when viewing thru the camera.The only downside since i didn't want a light on all the time in my garage is that it's pitch dark until the led comes on, the garage door opener light kicks on or i turn on the garage light manually.It does fit the bill.My next camera i'll be testing is the AVTech AVM521A which is a dome that uses one single white led light instead of ir http://www.avtech.com.tw/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=242