iwatchlive

I need help choosing the best Analog/IP PTZ Camera

Hello Fellow CCTV Junkies,

I am in seek on beginning a dialogue to find out the pros and cons of IP cameras versus hybrid analog/ip cameras. I have the largest client that any surveillance customer could ever dream of having and I need to come up with the best solution for them. It is important that these camera locations have the ability to have the following:

Stand-Alone Webcam functions

Robust FTP features, such as (specific configurable transfer intervals, automatic overwrite protection for client destination folder, touring, great optical and powerful digital zoom as well as large list of protocols to use with the GEOVISION if possible)

I also wanted to know if you use the IP camera with a DVR and Regular analog control as well as the IP functionality.

I would also be interested in talking about IP video server integration into existing PTZ cameras. But the axis like 2401 could hook up to an existing camera and hopefully control the functions but very limited to control and presets. I need to have tours if possible. Due to the need that this site is HUGE, they wanted presets to dwell for a long time to configure multiple FTP transfers to get pictures uploaded from more than one preset. It was a little challenging to do with the GEOVISION. It only sends FTP to a place and is temperamental at times.

Please if anyone could help I would be extremely grateful. I also would like to point out that this size job could very well require help to help design. If there is anyone who could be of help out with the systems design, customer html interfaces for the cameras to maybe MASK AXIS if we had to from the clients. I would be happy to contract out some of the work.

I will be waiting to read your replies.

Hybrid solution with IP speed domes, analogue speed domes with video servers, IP video matrix with video transcoders and NVR maybe just the right way to go for your project.

Customised VMS (video management software) is required for the pretty complex stand alone webcam f****ions stated, not much of a problem if SDK (software development kit) is available.

You can use IP camera with normal DVR by incorporating a compatible video transcoder (decoder) at the DVR end.

Control, presets and tours can be achieved by the customised VMS.

Do take a serious look of the ACTi system:

http://www.acti.com

Products that maybe of your interest are:

CAM-6220/6230 MPEG4 IP Speed Domes

CAM-5120 MPEG4 Day and Night IP Cam

CAM-7100 MPEG4 IP Rugged Dome

SED-2100R MPEG4 Video Server

SED-2400 MPEG4 Video Server with 2-way Audio

SED-3200 MPEG4 Video Transcoder

SDK-2100 MPEG4 Video Server Software Development Kit

MPEG4 NVR Sollution

You are more likely to find your solution between AXIS or ACTi, my bet is ACTi will be more cost effective with its cheaper comparabel products against AXIS', as well as the availability of the SDK/

I just wanted to know what ptz cams I could use and what touring ability would it have. I liked the AXIS 241S server as there is this demo in Nebraska at http://63.76.82.235/view/view.shtml?imagePath=/mjpg/video.mjpg&size=1

Awesome PTZ controls by clicking the red crosshairs. They are using a AXIS 241S with Pelco Housing on a PT mount, not a dome. It works awesome and I want to be able to have the same but with my existing dome, which is Linlin or Dynacolor for the GEOVision-Compatability factor. I really want the BEST dwell time and FTP functions for my client.

Thanks again and I will do my research onto ACTi.

Adam

Hi Adams,

AXIS 241S is a great video server, if price is not really a concern for you.

I have used some of them (also the AXIS241Q) and have no complain actaully except the steep pricing.

Discovered ACTi products a few months back, particularly the SED-2100R video server which is much cheaper than the AXIS 241S. Tried it out on some projects and found it perform as good as, if not better than AXIS 241S.

Only thing is AXIS 241S has both MPEG4 and MJPEG options, ACTi only believes in MPEG4, but who cares about MJPEG these days?

Daniel

To me, Acti is a more professional product, Axis is so widely used by DIY and PC companies, it just killed itself in the pro industry. Also, hands down, Acti has much better specs.

have to agree with rory, AXIS, while maintaining its steep pricing, has started to make toy cameras like the 205/206 series.

just compare its latest 225FD IP dome with ACTi's CAM-7100 IP rugged dome, you will tell the difference.

ACTi is has nice features, except when you see what optics they use. Sony. Blah.

(Sorry for the Sony fans out there, but I have a SNCRZ30N and it can't see a thing at night.... now compare that with Hitachi optics and it's a night and day difference. Literally.)

ACTi is has nice features, except when you see what optics they use. Sony. Blah.

(Sorry for the Sony fans out there, but I have a SNCRZ30N and it can't see a thing at night.... now compare that with Hitachi optics and it's a night and day difference. Literally.)

SNCRZ30N is not a good model to judge Sony CCD sensors, it uses 1/6" SuperHAD CCD which does not offer good low light sensitivity.

The 1/4" SuperHAD CCD would give 0.1 Lux, and the 1/4" ExView CCD could reach as low as 0.0.1 Lux.

ACTi's cams use either 1/4" SuperHAD or ExView CCD sensors.

By the way, looking at ACTi's speed domes, the best Lux rating they have is 0.1. Not too good...

You were probably looking at the CAM-6220/6230 which are using the Sony SuperHAD 1/4" CCD sensor, sensitivity in low lux mode is 0.1 Lux.

Thee higher grade CAM-6110 speed dome is using Sony ExView 1/4" CCD sensor, perforamance at low lux mode (black & white) is 0.01 lux.

The demos are non-existant for ACTi. I want to see these things work and the demos are not real, they are videos that time out and I cannot even view them.

I found Pixords 261 demo online and it was a fake. They used a Video Server called the Pixord 4000 connected to a PTZ which they are trying to pass off as their PTZ. However the PTZ demo has 4 channels?!

This is so difficult to get a REAL DEMO!

Can anyone help?

I also want to know if anyone can get a good demo of any axis ip servers with admin functions as I need to see the FTP functions work, first hand.

Thanks.

ACTi's demo site is working fine, just that you need to install active-X to view the video streaming, download the Active_X from here and you should be able to view it:

http://www.acti.com/Software/download/Explorer-Setup20041202-ACTi.exe

Noone will allow you to have admin access to their online demo.

If you are keen on the ACTi, I will setup 1 of its MPEG4 IP Speed Dome at home for you to play with it. I have other demo sites in Singapore but can't let you access the admin, and even PTZ controls.

It was a reverse search via google which resulted in a list of ip addresses and log in names INCLUDING ADMIN FUNCTIONS.

I got it to work, but pixelated like a mad man. It also froze a few times and was mounted upside down in some Asian office in fact the link was to a asian webpage.

I was not so impressed by it, but still needed more time. I didn't want to post it in here as It might not be an intentional public linkand dont know how the admin of this forum would like it.

ADAM!~

Hi Adam,

If you can wait, I will setup the ACTi IP speed dome early next week and let you try out the full admin controls.

Or if you can PM me your email address, will give you the link to 1 of my installed live cameras, and the instructions on how to view it.

Daniel

On a separate note, I just got an email from ACTi about an upcoming product that they wanted my company's opinion on. They are really innovators, as what they're soon to be releasing hasn't been done before. Pretty exciting-- and good to see a company that isn't standing still.... cough..AXIS...cough..

Yep since ive been watching acti they just keep bringing out new stuff, its pretty cool. Like i said somewhere else before, i spent 48 hours straight non stop, no sleep, no lie, researching all the IP manufacturers available that I could find on the internet (there were hundreds, alot of them used others equipment also), and concluded Acti to have the best specs for real time IP video and high quality .. short of making your own systems ..

next to Wireless Eye ofcourse

Hello Daniel,

I'm interested in the ACTi IP speed dome also. Please keep me informed. Do you sell these units? I am also looking to buy one.

Thanks,

Tim

Hi Adam,

If you can wait, I will setup the ACTi IP speed dome early next week and let you try out the full admin controls.

Or if you can PM me your email address, will give you the link to 1 of my installed live cameras, and the instructions on how to view it.

Daniel