Sign in to follow this  
buellwinkle

Hikvision record and playback from the camera

Took me a month but finally did a how-to on this poorly documented Hikvision feature on my blog. It's pretty cool. From the camera browser interface, you can view a timeline to select video to play back, control playback speed, typical NVR functionality. On the backend, it records to a NAS that is NFS capable (or a PC running NFS software).

This is great for those that just have a small amount of cameras that do not want an NVR or a PC running NVR software.

Also, found a source for the cameras for $169.99 shipped, actually better than what Costco charges and from a U.S. source.

Took me a month but finally did a how-to on this poorly documented Hikvision feature on my blog. It's pretty cool. From the camera browser interface, you can view a timeline to select video to play back, control playback speed, typical NVR functionality. On the backend, it records to a NAS that is NFS capable (or a PC running NFS software).

This is great for those that just have a small amount of cameras that do not want an NVR or a PC running NVR software.

Also, found a source for the cameras for $169.99 shipped, actually better than what Costco charges and from a U.S. source.

i'm not sure if the few dollar difference between costco and other source would be worth it, considering how good costcos customer service and return policy is. That and you get 2 additional years of warranty with costco, and their concierge services, comes with cat5 cables for each camera too.

As you can tell, i'm a costco addict.

Thanks for figuring out the feature though, the documentation sucks, they really don't make it easy to figure certain things out!

I hear ya, big fan of Costco. I may live in the only city our size (60,000) that hosts 2 separate Costcos. But Coscto makes you buy them in pairs like shoes, they always seem to run out and it's 2MP Swann/Lorex, not 3MP Hikvision.

I thoght costco sell qsee. Is swan and lorex same dahua model camera?

I hear ya, big fan of Costco. I may live in the only city our size (60,000) that hosts 2 separate Costcos. But Coscto makes you buy them in pairs like shoes, they always seem to run out and it's 2MP Swann/Lorex, not 3MP Hikvision.

It is little tricky, viewtopic.php?f=19&t=35927&start=15

The interface is almost the same as the NVR.

The 4.0 firmware in the camera allows for NFS and the 5.0 allows for iSCSI as well.

The thing I don't like with the SCSI and the camera, is that it will allocate the full drive as just for that one camera.

I'm learning about the iSCSI now so I can set size limits on the shares, so I can give each camera a set size.

Looked into that yet?

Just saw your website review, very nice.

You can also use this NAS/iSCSI method to add an additional HD to the NVR for primary use or for mirroring.

I thoght costco sell qsee. Is swan and lorex same dahua model camera?

Sorry for any confusion but Costco.com in the U.S. (Canada has different deals), sells the Q-See made by Dahua, model IPC-HFW2100 and is 720P mini-bullet and it's $299/pair. Sometimes the also sell the mini dome for $199, 1080P, day only, no IR LEDs.

Costco.com also sells Swann and Lorex cameras made by Hikvision, looks just like the Q-See mini bullets but is 1080P resolution (double the pixels, double the fun). They sometimes carry the bullets, sometimes the dome, sometimes both. Also sold in pairs like sox, $349. The difference here is Swann and Lorex chose to neuter the Hikvision camera which is a 3MP camera to 2MP (1080P). The Hikvision version can run in 3MP or 1080P, so no loss over the Swann or Lorex. Also, from what people said, if you use the Swann or Lorex cameras without their NVR, they will not support you. I think Lorex specifically says on their website that the cameras can not be used with out their NVR, not true but you can see where they are going.

So what I pointed out is as an alternative you can buy the actual 3MP Hikvision dome or bullet in whatever quantities you want in the U.S. for a lower price than what Costco charges.

Previously, people were looking at places to buy in China via Aliexpress.com and sometimes that can be annoying with high shipping fees, time zone issues in communicating, additional charges for PayPal use if they even take PayPal or international wire transfer fees and you would have to send the camera back to China if there's a problem.