djt511

Single IP Camera, best solution for driveway?

Hi All,

I am looking for a single IP Camera to cover my driveway. It is a typical style about 5 ft long.

Recently some theivs have broke into our vehicles and i would like to at least be able to ID the type of vehicle at night as i believe they might live in the neighborhood.

Anyhow i have poor lighting outside at night and a limited budget. I would like to spend up to $500 dollars.

I have installed 4 different Qvis CCTV set ups before so i have limited experience but have been reading to gain some knowledge.

My question is what would be my ideal camera & setup?

I was looking at the ACTI TCM-1111

I don't want to have to buy a DVR since it will just be 1 Camera, with this camera would it be ideal to have it write to a PC that is constantly on, or to a harddrive that is attached to the network (is that considered a NAS?)

I am concerned with my bandwidth on my network, will writing to a NAS or even a computer use enough bandwidth for me to notice? (I understand I can probably adjust the Codec to H264 and FPS to 15 to help with that.)

Any input is appreciate, models and pricing would be appreciated.

Look at my recent article on my blog for using a Hikvision camera's built in record feature to a NAS. That may do what you want, sort of the NVR features built into the camera. Perfect for someone with only one camera. If you already have a PC running for something else, you can probably just run FreeNAS on windows and have it record to your PC without you even knowing it (until you run out of disk space, LOL). For $169, it's not a bad deal.

The ACTi TCM-1111 is sort of it's way out, the E32 would do a lot better there, a 3MP bullet from ACTi or even their 1MP E31 but resolution counts outdoors. With 3MP, the ACTi would be able to ID someone about 20' away, the 1MP may only be good about 6-7' away. Figure a typical car is 16' long, if they break into your trunk, you may not be able to ID someone with a 1MP camera with a typical lens. ACTi provides free NVR software, but you still need a PC to run it. I've run as many as 6 ACTi cameras with their NVR software on a small Intel Atom based PC the size of a book and worked well so you don't need much.

The ACTi TCM-1111 is sort of it's way out, the E32 would do a lot better there, a 3MP bullet from ACTi or even their 1MP E31 but resolution counts outdoors. With 3MP, the ACTi would be able to ID someone about 20' away, the 1MP may only be good about 6-7' away. Figure a typical car is 16' long, if they break into your trunk, you may not be able to ID someone with a 1MP camera with a typical lens. ACTi provides free NVR software, but you still need a PC to run it. I've run as many as 6 ACTi cameras with their NVR software on a small Intel Atom based PC the size of a book and worked well so you don't need much.

Thank you for the reccomdation on the E32, looks like that might be the ticket. I am REALLY concerned with low light performence, will this camera be able to do that without an extra infarred light? If i need one what should i get?

I have a spare computer that i can dedicate to the NVR software, but wanted to know if this would hurt bandwidth if constantly recording?

Also, can i set it to just record to a Hard Drive attached to the network?

What benifit, if any, would a stand alone NVR give.

Any other cameras i should consider?

It doesn't record continuously, only when it detects motion, so it won't write that much and with ACTi NVR software, you won't notice the additional workload. Don't now if it lets you write to an external disk as it only shows internal disks in it's interface. For my driveway, I use porch lights setup on timers that come on dusk to dawn and I use Cree LED bulb from Home Depot and that combined with the IR LEDs works great.

There are cameras from Axis that will do this well, but expensive. The Axis P3364-LVE is 1MP, has excellent low light capabilities, has IR LEDs but can cost 2-3x what the ACTi costs. Axis has a camera app called Axis Camera Companion (ACC). You use your PC to install the app on the camera and you insert say a 64GB microSD card and the camera does all the work of motion detection, writing to the SD card. To view the recordings or the camera live, you run Access Camera Companion on a Windows PC that gives you NVR like functionality but you only run that when you want view the cameras, not all the time as the cameras record without a PC. Downside is there's no web interface to ACC.

If that price didn't scare you, what we actually use is Mobotix D14 DNIGHT (D15 soon or now), costs more than the Axis camera, but is really good at recordings in camera or to CIFS NAS drives. You can view recordings from the camera's web interface or through their PC software. At night it switches to a b&w sensor for great low light sensitivity but no IR LEDs built in. You can get a Raytec RM25, runs about $350ish and can light-up a driveway sized area.

Tell me if that scares you or not because there's one camera that has a hard drive built-in for in-camera recording but more expensive than Mobotix.

It doesn't record continuously, only when it detects motion, so it won't write that much and with ACTi NVR software, you won't notice the additional workload. Don't now if it lets you write to an external disk as it only shows internal disks in it's interface. For my driveway, I use porch lights setup on timers that come on dusk to dawn and I use Cree LED bulb from Home Depot and that combined with the IR LEDs works great.

There are cameras from Axis that will do this well, but expensive. The Axis P3364-LVE is 1MP, has excellent low light capabilities, has IR LEDs but can cost 2-3x what the ACTi costs. Axis has a camera app called Axis Camera Companion (ACC). You use your PC to install the app on the camera and you insert say a 64GB microSD card and the camera does all the work of motion detection, writing to the SD card. To view the recordings or the camera live, you run Access Camera Companion on a Windows PC that gives you NVR like functionality but you only run that when you want view the cameras, not all the time as the cameras record without a PC. Downside is there's no web interface to ACC.

If that price didn't scare you, what we actually use is Mobotix D14 DNIGHT (D15 soon or now), costs more than the Axis camera, but is really good at recordings in camera or to CIFS NAS drives. You can view recordings from the camera's web interface or through their PC software. At night it switches to a b&w sensor for great low light sensitivity but no IR LEDs built in. You can get a Raytec RM25, runs about $350ish and can light-up a driveway sized area.

Tell me if that scares you or not because there's one camera that has a hard drive built-in for in-camera recording but more expensive than Mobotix.

I think i will stick to the e32 for cost reasons.

Let me know if im missing something.

I need

Acti Camera (where to buy? a1 security had it for 292)

Switch - TP-LINK TL-SF1008P

cat6 cable to run switch to router,

cat cable to run to camera from switch

PC on same network to run ACTI NVR software.

Will i be able to remote view from my iphone?

Thanks again if i missed something let me know!

Be careful who you buy from, many online resellers are not authorized which voids your warranty - http://www.acti.com/news/Announce/Caution_to_Customers_Regarding_Unauthorized_Resellers

WrightwoodSurveillance is more expensive but they are an authorized ACTi reseller and has free shipping.

You don't really need an 8 port switch if you all you want is one camera. I use this one at 2 locations because it's small and cheap. This is a sample on of what I'm talking about on eBay - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-48V-0-5A-Wall-Plug-POE-Injector-for-IP-Phone-IP-Camera-/310687796850?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item48566f8e72

For smart phone viewing, ACTi has a free IOS app that works together with their free NVR software.

You could also consider improving your light outside with solar security light fixtures from lowes/homedepot. Then you'd get more lighting without the hassle of wiring the fixtures in. Any additional light outside will help a camera help you.

How long is your driveway? How far do you usually park from where you want to mount the camera? I think there's a typo in your original post. Your driveway can't be typical AND only 5 feet long. Lens selection will be much more important if your driveway is really, say, 65 feet long. That's a lot more typical for a city driveway here.

your driveway is really, say, 65 feet long. That's a lot more typical for a city driveway here.

Really, 65' long? My city driveway going into our high-rise is the width of the sidewalk, maybe 10'. At our non-city home in the 'burbs, we have an exceptionally large driveway at 25', most are only 20', the local code minimum for a single family home. At our weekend home, the garage is flush with the street, no driveway, zero, zilch, nada.

My short driveway is 65 feet. My side driveway is longer, probably 75 or 80. My left neighbour has at least 90 but my right-side neighbour has maybe 55. Not many postage stamp lots here.

Be careful who you buy from, many online resellers are not authorized which voids your warranty - http://www.acti.com/news/Announce/Caution_to_Customers_Regarding_Unauthorized_Resellers

WrightwoodSurveillance is more expensive but they are an authorized ACTi reseller and has free shipping.

You don't really need an 8 port switch if you all you want is one camera. I use this one at 2 locations because it's small and cheap. This is a sample on of what I'm talking about on eBay - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-48V-0-5A-Wall-Plug-POE-Injector-for-IP-Phone-IP-Camera-/310687796850?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item48566f8e72

For smart phone viewing, ACTi has a free IOS app that works together with their free NVR software.

I will check out wrightwood, and the switch you suggested, i figured those eBay POE were POS lol. But if you use it and it works ill consider that.

You could also consider improving your light outside with solar security light fixtures from lowes/homedepot. Then you'd get more lighting without the hassle of wiring the fixtures in. Any additional light outside will help a camera help you.

I just added two light fixtures on the side of the garage and the camera will be roughly five feet away from the lights, problem is the light doesn't really illuminate say, 60 ft away and nothing probably will unless i add a light post near the end of my driveway.

How long is your driveway? How far do you usually park from where you want to mount the camera? I think there's a typo in your original post. Your driveway can't be typical AND only 5 feet long. Lens selection will be much more important if your driveway is really, say, 65 feet long. That's a lot more typical for a city driveway here.

The driveway is exactly 50 ft long, the camera will be at least 10 ft up, one of the cars has to park on the street instead of inside the drive so add about another 15 ft. That is the vehicle im cornered with covering, but i understand the limitations of the camera based on placement, or the lens i choose. I don't want to be too zoomed just to cover the that's furthest away, i would like even coverage of the driveway and partial amount of the street.

If you can always park on one side or another of your driveway then 6mm isn't a bad compromise between zoom and FOV at 65 ft. If not then 3.6mm beats missing the action with a longer lens. You will get a LOT of false positives trying to not miss real motion events when tuning your video motion detection with a wide lens at that distance.

If you can always park on one side or another of your driveway then 6mm isn't a bad compromise between zoom and FOV at 65 ft. If not then 3.6mm beats missing the action with a longer lens. You will get a LOT of false positives trying to not miss real motion events when tuning your video motion detection with a wide lens at that distance.

The lens on there is 4.2 per ACTi website, I just ordered the camera, once it comes in and i get it mounted i will see how i like the view and change the lens if i need to (you can change the lens on this camera right?!)

Thanks for the help

When mounting outside how do you cleanly hold the Cable in place? Also, what should i do to keep the connectors safe from the elemants?

Thanks again.

When mounting outside how do you cleanly hold the Cable in place? Also, what should i do to keep the connectors safe from the elemants?

Thanks again.

Pages 12 and 14 of the installation manual cover waterproofing.

http://www.acti.com/download_file/Product/hardware_manual/E32_Hardware_Manual.pdf

Thank you!

I ordered some of these to route the wire on the brick wall.

http://www.amazon.com/Grip-Clip%C2%99-Single-Cable-Mounting-White/dp/B000E9VK1K/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1373906561&sr=8-14&keywords=cable+clip

I had a quick look a while ago but didn't see any obvious lens swapping choices from the factory. Maybe buellwinkle has seen something.

For what it's worth, I highly recommend WrightwoodSurveillance...I recently bought ACTi hardware from there (including several of the E32's mentioned in this thread) with prompt shipping and great communication.

So if I understand correctly, the distance you want to cover with the camera is 65ft and the car at that distance has minimal to no light covering it?

Others will chime in but I agree that you will need a varifocal camera in order to frame your view exactly how you want it. With non-varifocal cameras you're stuck with view provided by the installed lens (unless you can swap lenses). ACTi, among other brands, has a line of varifocal cameras you might want to look at.

Even with a varifocal camera you're still going to need additional lighting. There are cheaper LED IR lights on amazon and ebay that will work but will most likely not be as reliable as the more expensive ones. I have one installed under an eve and hasn't had any issues yet in the year it's been in operation. Think I paid $40 for it or something. It gets the job done in a pinch but I wouldn't recommend it as a reliable solution.

Finally got the E32 installed, have yet to set up the NVR software, and adjust settingts... So many options your mind will spin!

Here is an image, let me know what you think.

226147_1.jpg

From that picture, I think the camera needs some tweaking for sure.

I saved the manual. I don't even own an Acti camera but that manual was very cool anyway- all good stuff in there.

Overall it's fine, the focus is set closer in, you can set it further away but honestly, I set mine for my driveway as that's my priority which sometimes makes cars further out seem out of focus. The bush that's close that's overblown may be causing metering issues making the rest of the scene seem darker so if you can avoid that bush, that would help. I would swap the Beemer for an Audi but that's just me, LOL. The other choice has to do more with tastes. By default, the cameras comes with contrast on low and WDR off. You can increase contrast for a prettier picture, you can play with WDR options. Also, the AE exposure reference or something close to that name, I usually make that about 100 for cleaner picture at nigh, some ACTi folks here make it even lower like 70-80, again, personal tastes.