MikeyD1

PLEASE HELP.....Camera system for HOME use

Hey everyone...this is my first post....so thank you ahead of time for the info. I've read a couple of discussions already but can't seem to find the answer. All I've been able to find were posts bashing Lorex & Q-see from Costco but those posts all seemed to be 2 to 3 years ago when the cameras weren't IP66 or 700tvl like they are now and back then they were recommending "GOOD" cameras had to be at least 520 tvl. I have looked slightly into IP cameras but the cost $$$ and the bandwidth give me concern is it really really really worth it? I'm not sitting at a desk all day watching cameras and trying to see what they are holding in their hands or trying to read a license plate 200' ft. away. Just need good quality for a low price for residential.

****I'm really really curious on the Samsung system I list below as I can't find NOTHING on this...how new is samsung to the camera game?

I am looking for a minimum of 8 cameras , 16 would be nice but overkill (but I could keeps some for spares). So looking at the 3 systems at Costco here in California and any recommendations GOOD OR BAD would be great help. Would like to stay under $600-$700.

System 1 - Q-See 960H 16-channel with 12-cameras (700 tvl) for $599.99 after $400 off until Aug. 4th - http://www.costco.com/Q-See-16-Channel-Real-Time-960H-DVR-Security-System-with-1TB-Hard-Drive-and-12-700TVL-Cameras.product.100042811.html

System 2 - Lorex LH1896 8-channel system with 8-cameras (700 tvl) for $499.99. Also at Costco but not on their site. But seemed to find great reviews from Lorex site with specs here: http://www.lorextechnology.com/Wired-security-dvr-system/Security-camera-system-with-960H-recording-resolution/prod360050.p?_DARGS=/site/search/include/searchResultItem.jsp_AF&_dynSessConf=-8023745455671633948&/lorex/ui/UserContext.contextLocation=products&_D%3A/lorex/ui/UserContext.contextLocation=+

System 3 - Samsung SDS-P5101 also sold at Costco but not on their site. It's a 16-channel with 10-camera system (600 tvl) for $699.99. Here is the link directly from Samsung: http://www.samsungsv.com/Model/Detail/39/Samsung-SDS-P5101-16-Channel-DVR-Security-System

So basically I'm looking like everyone else for a system that will give me good picture quality enough to see face detail if someone breaks into my home with or without someone being home (The video on the news recently of the man breaking into a home in the middle of the day and beating the woman in front of her 3-year old kid has FREAKED ME OUT) .....So I have to protect my family and home even though I live in a really good neighborhood, you just never know.

Thanks again!!!

Mike

There is also the Swann option at Costco. They seem to alternate between Lorex and Swann every couple months.

Not sure what the bandwidth concern is; they make their own little network if you use the IP systems and wire them with CAT5e. You can also use one of the SDI systems which work over coax. Both Swann and Lorex seem to offer both through Costco, off and on. I don't know anything about the Samsung.

I have been impressed with the Swann IP cameras, which appear to be the same as the Lorex (made by Hikvision). The main difference between these 2 systems seems to be in the details of the NVR.

The software is kludgey but the support has been surprisingly decent; I now have two installed outside and view through IE or iOS on the iPhone 5. The NVR fan is noisy and you'll want a place to put it where it won't bother you.

I think I can easily ID people after I finish tweaking settings and placement. Attached is a capture in the evening with overcast and a bit of rain... just got that one running.

2047569837_test_test_IPCamera01_20130721194418_104650.jpg.b1ff298c4b26ab4b7dfd3fbc7304b6fa.jpg

Very nice Dave thanks for the info. So you went with the Swan IP system. Can you point me to which one you have? How do you like the interface for your phones etc..? How many cameras and if you set it on the best picture possible with all cameras how long can it record for?

Thanks again!

Mike

I have this Swann from Costco: http://www.costco.com/Swann-8-Channel-HD-NVR-Security-System-with-2TB-Hard-Drive-and-4-1080p-IP-Cameras.product.100027599.html

I honestly can't answer most of that yet. I had all 4 cams running indoor for a week, and got the iPhone app running, but it was all temporary test on the desktop.

I just finally got 2 installed outdoors late today. I have spent a lot of quality time in the attic and there will be more to follow. The NVR is finally tucked away, but hardwired to my router. I am still figuring out the recording options, since it records to both the NVR and PC (local and remote) and I am occasionally confused about which one I'm configuring.

The iPhone Swannview app took some doing to set up, but I do like it. It has some lag, of course, but it was actually useful for setting camera positions. I have two device settings, one for at home in the internal network, and one for away connecting externally. It shows all 4 cameras at once or you can pinch/zoom to see just one full screen.

I am completely rethinking my original fantasies about camera positioning. I was trying to do too much with a single placement. Also, I think you'll always want more cameras than you think you will.

Dave,

If you don't mind me asking....how big is your how and is it single story? How many cameras do you think you'll now need? Will 8 be enough?

THanks!

Regarding the Q-See 960H 16-channel with 12-cameras (700 tvl) for $599.99... I bought this a week ago and ended up taking it back to Costco. I wrote the first review on the Costco web site.

2000 sf, single story, detached garage, but with faux gables and design elements that complicate coverage. It's a 2.5 acre lot, most of which is pasture, but some large trees near the house.

Sunset is a killer for some otherwise desirable angles. Also, one of my first placements would have a subject backlit, compromising a possible ID. If they come in they will have to go out, so I need to move that one to have the sun at its back in the afternoons.

I could easily see 6 plus 1 or 2 PTZs. You would think 4 sides = 4 cams, but this is simply not the case. The garage and drive will require at least one of their own.

There is just no substitute for getting started and tacking them up to try them out.

Dano,

Read your comment on Costco....sounds like you go frustrated with Q-see's QC.....did you actually try out the cameras at all or no anyone that owns them? I'm just curious on the quality indoor and out.

I think I'm done with Q-see just because of some of the reviews but mainly because of 2 things that I recently learned of. The lens is a 5mm lens or something high and I read that it should be 3.6mm or less and also found out that the degree of view is only 50-55% which is AWFUL compared to the other brands that are 75% and 80% etc...

So that you guys know the dilemma I'm having now is deciding Analog systems from Costco over IP (i.e Swann or Lorex) from Costco....I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth almost double the price for half the components.

Dave,

My house is about the same size as yours and one story also. I have a really high roof line over my garage and the peak is about 25-30' ft. so i'm curious how the cameras would do.

The angle is fairly wide on the Swann, pretty good really. A vari-focal lens would sure be nicer.

My porch cam is backlit too much; the angle is good enough to capture the area, but the combination of foreground shadow and sunlit background is not good. If the porch light comes on, it gets pretty bad.

I would never pick an analog system over this. For whatever complexity IP introduces, it's worth it for the management options and picture quality, IMO.

I took today off to mess with it more, along with some other projects.

934660197_test_test_IPCamera02_20130722092431_353553.thumb.jpg.ae3d203928b258ca149f4e0da538b6cb.jpg

I could easily see 6 plus 1 or 2 PTZs. You would think 4 sides = 4 cams, but this is simply not the case. The garage and drive will require at least one of their own.

My rule of thumb is one for every entrance plus a cam for vehicle plates in the driveway, plus one for each vehicle parked outside, and then fill in the holes around the house as much as possible to cover windows, play areas for the kids, etc. Some cams can do double-duty. 8 cams isn't a lot if you want to cover a house decently. Adding a cam or two inside doesn't hurt either. Those'll record what any intruders do, plus are a quick remote way to see if your TV etc is still there when you're on vacation without having to review all your footage to see if anybody came and went.

I did try the cameras in different light and position scenarios (day, night, inside, outside, low light, bright light and no light). The DVR worked just fine but the live and recorded images were terrible in my opinion.

I really wanted the q-see system to work and I do understand that an analog image wasn't going to be the greatest.

Right now I'm waiting on a Hybrid recorder and cameras that I ordered from Empire Security Cameras. For about the same price as the 960h Q-see system with 12 cameras. I was able to get a 16 channel HVR and 3 cameras. The folks at Empire have responded quickly to all my questions via email.

Dano,

When you say hybrid system...in what way do you mean?? Also do you have a link to the system they are selling you or is it put together by them? Can't wait to hear what the quality will be like.

Thanks!

Here is the link to the HVR... http://empiresecuritycameras.com/p-85-empire-security-es-dvr1u960h-16-channel-960h-hybrid-dvr-30fps960h-30fps1080p.aspx

The HVR looks similar to a VGSION VG-DA6016-H and it may be just re-branded.

The cameras are 700TVL Sony Effio-P WDR / SuperHAD II Dome- 36IR - 2.8-12mm Lens w/IR CUT from the same company. I believe Empire makes the cameras.

I don't think they do "all in one packages" They have several YouTube videos you can watch. If you have any questions its best to just email them.

My stuff should arrive tomorrow.

One other thing about the system from Empire. The HVR does not come with a hard drive. You will have to buy that elsewhere. I bought a 2TB drive foe $99.