If your in the market for a good 5.8 GHz wireless solution...You should PM ScottJ he has some really good 5.8GHz Long Range RX/TX's

overpriced? They seem to be the cheapest in the market so far.

When you say really short range, what does that mean? I've talked to people that have used this in 5 mile range with no problem, I'm only going 1/4 mile at most.

Any direct issues you can comment on?

1/4 Mile might be ok, but they told me they had it up on a 2 mile line of sight installation and the link was horrible.

It was the MiniLink WES system. Mind you, this was second hand, but this experience is actually coming from a CCTV camera manufacturer that was trying to use this in an integration package.

Have had very good experiences with MicroTek and they have excellent factory support. Much better than most wireless companies which seem to not care what happens to you after you buy their product. Good bunch of guys, good product, and very reasonably priced.

secu master, COP is the cheapest no ..?

anyone else, the microtek is better than COP's toys i take it ..??

They have a 30 day "no questions" return policy! I'm gonna see if I can't get some stuff in and play with it. I've heard nothing but good things from many dealers and users!

They are an honest company that understands that RF is tricky and doesn't always work. Try doing that with Trango or some of the others.

They don't know who you are once you buy their stuff. Can't take chances like that when getting high end RF stuff.

I have to agree with you AV, I've talked to a couple of distro's and they say the same thing, that Microtek is the "easiest" to deal with and that they are very understanding!

Hopefully I'll get some stuff in and let you guys know how it went...

Thanks for the input folks!

the specs dont look up to Trango or Video Comm quality though, as far as distance, frequencies, etc .. looks alot like COP gear actually, those TX's get very hot ... sorry but just gives me the impression that they are toys .. but then if they had a better representation on the internet (eg. more detailed web site) then maybe make a diff. . .. right now i get the impression its asian gear rebadged .. but then thats just me .. not saying it isnt any good, but you wont find me buying any of it unless i get a free demo first.

Rory

Microtek has been around for almost 20 years, and all their stuff is manufactured is California, 100% USA.

The more I read about their wireless ethernet stuff the more I'm impressed! The prices are def. not "COP" prices by any means....plus the housings are powder coated billet aluminum.

If anybody is interested in this stuff, call Microtek direct and they are awesome with support and will help you spec out the job. I'd recommend talking to Tim Johnson.

cool, i think they just need to do something with their web site then

Remember, word of mouth can make you a living ..but image can make you a millionaire ...

Don't trust Trango's specifications. They don't perform up to snuff and they will not take things back and are extremely arrogant. One of the worst factories we've ever dealt with. Microtek guys are great and the product is if anything under specified.

In my opinion, Microtek's return policy is the number one reason to consider them (with other's "you bought it, you own it policies"). I've had a system in Alaska need to "go bigger" on antennas and Microtek was very flexible (watching bald eagles in a nest), and I had a couple of 1 meter dishes arrive that looked as though they'd been ridden down the side of a snowey mountain a couple of times - thanks UPS - - anyway they took care of that too). In my experience wireless is just too "ify" to not buy from someone with a return poilicy. Even with line-of-sight (which can be pretty hard to be sure of at distance, and which thankfully is less important with wireless ethernet) you don't know what interference you'll run in to (unless you've roamed with one of those very fancy and expensive "testers" the "pros" use). My buddy at Microtek (before he left to pursue his dream of "starting a rock band") good friend who didn't b.s., was telling me of tremendous successes with the WES product - - solid and easy to install (and if it doesn't work you can return it). Now, if you're a wirelss expert you can certainly "build your own" - (I guess) - check out: http://www.data-linc.com/security/index.htm for some more industrial stuff and source some big antennas. Short range - buy some Linksys stuff and stick it in a plastic box. Only thing I will say is on the real short range (like 700' throw in an obsticle or two) Analog stuff (you know, good old fashioned RF Analog Video wireless) I actually had customers report better results with the cheap stuff from China vs. Microtek's - - you know the "paddle antenna" stuff. How can that be one might ask - I think it is as simple as the fact that Microtek sticks very strictly to the FCC guidlines on output power, and the Chinese tweak theirs up a bit (less problems and really... who's checking). Just my opinion on feedback I've gotten (but thankfully not important as the Ethernet stuff is regulated differently - more power I guess) and just puts the other to shame. Anyway, you can see why I'd want something from a company with a return policy. Rick / KrCCTV.com

Last post was so long I just couldn't bare to make it any longer with this afterthought...

The WES has a (what I recall as being kind of unique) ability to run at 5.3GHz (specific to a certain configuration - distance driven I think - check with them)... but, anyway, if it's a match then I'd expect that to help avoid interference potential as 5.8 becomes more the standard). Okay... some wireless guy... tell me "I'm an idiot." Oh... and if you are considering Microtek's servers, please call me - - I source them directly from their OEM. Night all, Rick / KrCCTV.com