vaaaan

BNC -> ethernet Baluns to wireless?

I'm a beginner to the cctv world overall, so please forgive my lack of knowledge. I've been trying to read as much as I can this past few days. Here is my main question that I cannot find an answer for:

Can I connect 4 cameras using video baluns to a single ethernet cable, then connect that cable to a wireless wifi repeater (in access point mode), then connect another repeater across the house, with an ethernet cable attached to another 4 video baluns? I would then connect those baluns to the DVR in the basement. (This is an attic to basement install, in a multilevel home)

If this is a flat-out moronic question, please let me know. Also let me know why it wouldn't work, as I'm not familiar with transmitting video feeds directly over ethernet. I can connect a PC directly to the wifi repeater and another to a second repeater, and they will network with one another without the presence of a router, etc. So I wondered if the same logic can be used with non PC feeds. I would not be transmitting power, only passive video feeds.

Thanks in advance!!

Before anyone replies, if this wouldn't work, I would assume it has something to do with sending an analog signal over digital means without any sort of encoder or converter, correct? It may just be wise for me to run a single cat5 cable and simplify this...

You've gotten the right idea, when using baluns, there is no digital conversion taking place. Each pair in the cable carries a single analog signal, which is not compatible with digital (IP based) communication.

You would need to use an encoder to convert the analog signals to digital, then a decoder back to analog, to allow it to travel over wireless in your scenario.

Thanks for the clarification. And I assume there is no cheaper alternative to encoders and decoders? This is a budget build and cost is the most important factor unfortunately.

Unless you want to go with IP cameras, then your idea works, I would suggest running the wires through the walls if you want to save money, can be time consuming if you don't know what you are doing, but it works.

Often when covering a second floor we find a spot, next to HCAV or plumbing stacks often work nicely, and we run all our cables to the attic, then from there we come down from the top to our second floor locations, this means we only need to find 1 wall that lines up with the first floor and second floor.

Looks like I have a relatively easy route from the attic through our second utility room and into the crawlspace. from there its one wall over to the office where I will keep the DVR.

I did find my telephone wiring hub in the crawlspace. We don't use landline phone so since its a solid wire 8 lead cat3 cable, I assume I can use that to enter my office with 4 pairs of signals? Any downside to tapping into the cat3 for just the analog signals?

That should work, as long as you can make sure it's disconnected from the service entrance, and just a single run cable, with no other branches splitting off to other locations (unterminated branches can cause ghosting in the images).

Definitely. I traced it back to the room and disconnected that single cat3 cable from the phone junction so its isolated now. This will save me lots of wiring effort. Time to order some baluns! Thanks for all the help.

Definitely. I traced it back to the room and disconnected that single cat3 cable from the phone junction so its isolated now. This will save me lots of wiring effort. Time to order some baluns! Thanks for all the help.

Just make sure what you order is actually a Balun, if you are ordering from Ebay a lot of times it it just a piece of plastic that looks like a Balun with nothing inside. Expect to pay between 8-15$ for a pair of baluns, anyone selling them for 2$ is most likely selling you an empty piece of plastic.