MikeyD1

%%% Sooooo is this a good deal for home use?? %%%

Ok guys trying to finalize everything now. Came across this system on Costco's site. Is it a good or bad deal and WHY???

http://www.costco.com/Lorex-8-Channel-Full-HD-Real-Time-PoE-NVR-Security-System-with-2TB-Hard-Drive-and-6-1080p-Cameras.product.100048576.html

Going to use on single story home approx. 2000 sq. ft. with pool in back yard. Wanted to get at least 1 camera in the living room and eventually expand to a full 8 cameras. Is this worth my time and money?

Thanks!

Mike

It's definitely consumer grade. Lorex is not something you'd ever find in a professional's arsenal. But if you're trying to do it cheaply, Lorex certainly comes in at an attractive price point. If you're using this in a home for general home surveillance usage, you'll probably be ok with it. I've never used any of their products (taken a lot of them out, though), so I can't say for certain whether it will work or not for you. But Costco generally doesn't sell cheap crap since they warranty it basically for life. Lorex seems to have decent consumer support since their target market is the end user. So, give it a shot!

Ya I hear ya. I've been reading a lot of stuff on here lately, but there doesn't seem to be to much info on their new stuff only stuff from last year and beyond that wasn't well rated.

What got me to be honest with that the product had 111 reviews with 4.5 out of 5 stars and everyone talked about how great the picture was.

So let me ask everyone...if the picture is considered "Excellent" by the end user using a 1080p tv and the cameras catch the degrees of coverage they want and the remote apps work great on phones.................What else is there to consider?? Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Thanks!

It's a great price for 6 cams included. The trade-off between that and the Swann is no external alarm inputs, and no PTZ control. But, it's 200 bucks less with 2 extra cameras. It also has 100 ft. of cable instead of the 60 that come with the Swanns, which would have been nice.

It seems the bullets are the same cameras as the Swann system, and my Swanns look very good in day, adequate at night. Time will tell, but they feel like pretty high quality gear. It would have been nice to have a dome option like the package you're considering.

Believe the fan noise talk. Not a blow dryer, but you won't want it in a room with you for an extended period. It's more the continuous nature of it than the volume but you won't want it in a bedroom.

I hope the software is better, but have no way to compare.

Dave,

So what exactly would the external alarm inputs do? From what I take it means that I can out put the NVR to my home alarm system and if one of the cameras in my house goes off then it sets off my alarm? Or what?

Also I think it does do PTZ control....look at the back and zoom in....isn't that what the RS-485 connection is for or what is that?

So I haven't been able to find any youtube videos on the camera quality except for what Lorex actually has posted but I want a non-biased video. I did however manage to find a Swann 1080p video of the cameras that I believe are the same cameras too like you mention and the quality seems incredible!! Is it really that good?

Also on the site it mentions - 3 Megapixel 4mm lens for superior detail and wide angle viewing (79° diagonal FOV). Is this a good FOV degree? Or what is average or recommended?

External alarm inputs can trigger recording based on a switch closure from another device, like a PIR, gate control, etc. Video motion is very prone to false alarms, especially outside.

The RS-485 on the Lorex has been debated, but it is not for IP PTZ control. Their documentation just says "unsupported" if I recall correctly, and also specifically said ptz not supported.

The Swann night picture is very busy as the IR kicks in, but it is usable. The day picture is really good, and the color is good just after first light. It's only in the IR mode that things get noisy and I don't think they give you as much control over the settings as Hikvision would directly.

The lens is called a 4mm with a 75 degree view angle. Probably the best overall choice, but I would have liked a longer one for one location.

Ok so as long as I don't plan on using a PTZ camera, which really I don't to me it would be a waste as I would hardly ever access it. Also I will be setting my cameras to "ALWAYS" recording 24/7 and probably only change the indoor cameras to motion if I leave for vacation to save recording space.

As for the cameras I've been seeing talk on here about how you can update the firmware to the Hikvision camera firmware and it also up's the megapixel.........Did I say that right or thing or am I on a totally different subject?

So other than the above does it sound like this Lorex system will work?

I did contact Empire Security and waiting on a price.....are the "ES" IP cameras and NVR much better than what Lorex has? What makes it better?

Thanks!

Mike

Outta my league on most of those questions. There is a thread with extensive discussion of flashing Hik firmware over the Swann/Lorex, and some were ultimately successful. If I remember right, it did enhance resolution, but not to full true 3 mp.

I am still trying to get all my little toys working and positioned, so I am a ways off from any of that.

I will say that Swann and Costco concierge support have been good. Higher level Swann support comes from Australia, so they talk to you in the evenings. The Costco guys are surprisingly experienced but it's not their product. I have no experience with the Lorex support.

No way I can compare this system to anything else (Empire) but hopefully some of the pros will chime in.

As far as your basic question , would it work, I would say heck, yeah. Figure out where you're going to put the NVR first.

NVR is going in my attic that has plenty of room : ) Next question is where to position the cameras (your game) lol.

So anyone else want to chime in about Empire Security?