mroek

Simple multiple camera viewer desktop app

Hi,

I've been searching for a simple (the ideal is a portable app without any installation) camera viewer application for Windows.

I am currently using an application called LiveVue by Rory Knowles (Bahamas Security), which does just that. It can show the video from multiple cameras, and it is small and portable. The problem is that it only supports Dahua cameras, and I am going to swap my Dahuas for Hikvision, so I will no longer be able to use LiveVue.

I know there are lots of NVR applications out there, but I'm using a Synology for that, so all I want is to have a simple application to monitor my cameras live. I don't want a big, intrusive do-it-all software.

Had there been a simple way to show multiple video streams in VLC then that would have been an option, but unfortunately I'd have to run multiple instances of the app, which is undesirable.

I've come across a few apps that purports to do this, but they're all crap. So, the question is simple: Does anyone know if such an app exists?

How would rtsp + vlc work out?

I dont know any software that works like LiveVue does, so vlc + rtsp is my best bet. Maybe you could ask the author of LiveVue to add a generic RTSP-support?

As I mentioned, VLC works, but I'd have to run one VLC instance for each stream/camera, which I don't want. I want all the streams to stay within one instance and one window.

I think the author of LiveVue is way too busy to do anything (he doesn't reply in the LiveVue thread on his own forum), and he seems heavily invested in all things Dahua, so he'd probably not be interested in adding support for anything else.