Sign in to follow this  
Jamshid

Choosing a monitor

Hi there,

We currently have an AVTech AVC798zd 16ch DVR with 16analog cameras attached to it. We're looking to have a dedicated monitor attached to it. The monitor would be in an office approximately 100-150ft away from the DVR. The DVR outputs for both a VGA and BNC monitors.

What would be my best option? Should I run VGA or Coax cable to the office and would it be better to use a BNC or VGA monitor? Would I also need to run an IR cable for the remote to control camera viewing?

Thanks for the help

Hi there,

We currently have an AVTech AVC798zd 16ch DVR with 16analog cameras attached to it. We're looking to have a dedicated monitor attached to it. The monitor would be in an office approximately 100-150ft away from the DVR. The DVR outputs for both a VGA and BNC monitors.

What would be my best option? Should I run VGA or Coax cable to the office and would it be better to use a BNC or VGA monitor? Would I also need to run an IR cable for the remote to control camera viewing?

Thanks for the help

I don't think VGA will go that far so use composite (BNC). What is an infra red cable?

Besides the remote monitor I would have a monitor local to the DVR for operator purposes (then you could use the VGA)

Hi there,

Thanks for the help

I don't think VGA will go that far so use composite (BNC). What is an infra red cable?

Besides the remote monitor I would have a monitor local to the DVR for operator purposes (then you could use the VGA)

I would agree go with the BNC out, to get VGA to go that far you have to start looking at VGA baluns and they are costly. Easiest just to use the BNC out on the DVR and connect it to the RCA Video In (Yellow port) on a TV. Not many computer monitors have video in, so you may have to look at a TV.

This is simple to do, only requires some RG6 or RG59 cable a BNC connector and an RCA connector.

As for infra red that would be up to you if you wanted to add an extender. to allow you to control the DVR from the monitor.

You can also use a VGA monitor like the StarTech ST121UTPEP which extends a VGA monitor via cat5 cable. I'm using one of these going about 200ft and the pictpicture quality is the same as if it was connected locally. They have other models if you need a monitor duplicator such as a local and remote monitor.