Sign in to follow this  
triangledave

Q-See808 and 4 camera system newbie questions

I am a relative video system newbie and want to make sure what I am getting will work the way I need it to. I am fairly tech and network skilled, I just have not worked a lot configuring camera systems.

I am about ready to get a Q-See 808-461-1 8 channel NVR and 4 camera set. They are going for $861 on Amazon with free shipping.

There are a couple of reasons why I am interested in this system:

1. Up to 8 cameras, which is a good max for a home system with my needs.

2. Can interface with Micasaverde home automation system for viewing cameras, alerts and integrating with alarm system (If alarm triggers, all cameras record and/or using alarm sensors that are available via home automation system as potential camera triggers)

3. Price point vs features appears to be good. It looks like it is very easy to spend many thousands on a system.

Since I've had a not fun experience with an AVtech push camera (decent camera, push was a pain and tech support not very good--plus to end up with a similar AVtech based system would end up costing 2-3 times the price. Push video is cool, but not that cool).

I want to double check a few things before purchasing. I'll incorporate things I've gleaned from other posts on this board.

I've seen a fair amount of discussion about the 4 POE ports and how to connect additional cameras and have a set up question about my layout.

I have a network connection where the NVR will go. However, what I'd like to do is get a POE port switch and plug all (up to cameras into that switch located centrally from the camera mount positions. Then I'd run plug switch into network and plug NVR WAN port into network.

My plan is to use the 4 B&W 1.3 mp cameras that come with the system and add up to 4 more Q-see ip cameras, probably color ones. I'll start with one additional color ip camera for the front door.

With the caveats noted about presetting/reserving IP addresses, I will reserve ip addresses for all of the cameras and the NVR on my router, so they will always have the same address.

There was also a note about portmapping and conflicts between the NVR and the cameras to provide external access. As suggested elsewhere in the forum, I will use the NVR only for remote access and set up port mapping/forwarding for the NVR address only to be able to remotely access camera feeds.

With the information provided, do folks see any potential hiccups of things to be aware of when setting things up?

Will this set up work and will it be easy for the NVR to find the cameras? I'd like to have the NVR and cameras all on the same network. I am asking this question because the Q-see graphic on adding cameras shows additional cameras having to go through a router, not a switch.

Any thoughts or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

David

1. 8 cameras is more than enough for most home users. I've had many cameras and I use 6 for my home.

2. MicasaVerde is OK for viewing stills from the cameras but no video, no recording, more of a convenience feature to see cameras in the Vera app but not really usefull for me.

3. Price is good but these cameras have some issues. They have terrible white balance which creates a purple cast during parts of the day. Also, the IR illuminator is very bright and if someone walks near it, it washes out their face. Lastly, these are 6mm lens, not wide angle which many prefer. I have this camera but use it in a specific situation where 6mm makes sense but most of my cameras are set at about 4mm.

Costco has this system in and out and it's $699 from them. Still, I would step up a little and get their Swann System with 6 1080P cameras and NVR. It's on sale I believe for two weeks for $999. May seem like more but for about $140 more than what you mention, you get 2 more cameras, each one is double the resolution, you'll get decent color white balance and better image quality overall. Also, this NVR has 8 PoE ports vs. the Dahua has 4 PoE ports.

Thank you for the info. It is good to know and I'd much rather spend an extra $150 now and get a system that I am happy with. I am going to look into and probably get the Lorex system.

David

Wow, at least based on the specs, that is a great system. I like that it has 8 POE ports, so no messing with POE switches for a basic install. This does look considerably better than the Q-see system.

It'll be nice to get the system and pretty much be done since it is unlikely I'd need more than 6 cameras for a long time.

This system is actually cheaper than the Q-see system if you added the two cameras to it.

Thanks again,

David

FYI-I went with the Lorex system from Costco. I've tested it and will be running wires for cameras next weekend. I'll be running two additional ethernet cables for when and if I end up getting the additional two cameras. I think I will live with the 6 camera system for a while and then decide.

Thank you for input and suggestions.

1. 8 cameras is more than enough for most home users. I've had many cameras and I use 6 for my home.

Im glad you live in a square house. My generally L shaped offset house is a pain in my ass!