djt511

Help with this Power Supply

I have this power supply and would like to know the proper way to use it, it doesn't have any labels on the screws....

226865_1.jpeg

Thanks!

I'm guessing it is a 12v dc PS, right? So get a multimeter and set it to the 20v DC range or close (or automatic) and find which screw gives + and which gives -. If the display reads +12.x volts, then the red lead from the meter is +. If it reads -12.x volts then your leads are backwards and the black lead is on +12v. After that run wires to your cams and connect as appropriate.

That looks like a 24 volt AC transformer to me. Which makes sense that the terminals are not labeled as they don't need to be. There is no polarity with an AC transformer.

That looks like a 24 volt AC transformer to me. Which makes sense that the terminals are not labeled as they don't need to be. There is no polarity with an AC transformer.

I believe it is a 24V AC, because 2 cameras were on it at one point. So can i just hook up both + to the same side, and the same with the negatives on the other side??

I believe it is a 24V AC, because 2 cameras were on it at one point. So can i just hook up both + to the same side, and the same with the negatives on the other side??

The number of cameras that are on a single power source has nothing to do with AC/DC. It would only be a matter of how much watts/amps the power supply can deliver. For instance 2 on this supply may be fine but three could be too much. This also would have to do with the thickness of the wire and the total length of the power cables.

But yes, there is no polarity with AC, there is no positive/negative on a transformer.

Also note if this is a 24VAC power supply do not put 12VDC cameras on it.

And yes if connecting 2 cameras put both + wires on one side and both - wires on the other, don't mix + and - on the same terminal.