CPT1911

IP Solution: Build from pieces vs. buy the kit?

First, a big thank you to the great folks on here, especially the pros to take the time to answer newbie questions (like this one). As far as I am concerned, you are helping me keep my family safe and it’s hard to think of anything more important than that. Thank you!

So here is my situation, bulletized to make this a quicker read:

1. Installed a Samsung 4 camera system (SDE-3003N) about 18 months ago. This was my first foray into CCTV so I tried the $500 Sams Club special to see if I liked it. It provided crucial service a few times, but the hard drive is failing/has failed. Image quality was terrible, as you’d expect.

2. The Samsung system was POE to the cameras so I already have Cat5 run to the locations where I want coverage. Incidentally, I located the DVR in a concealed location and ran COAX from the DVR to the monitor in our kitchen. So my output from any future NVR will have to be converted to COAX. I’d be happy to crawl and run something else, but after the cameras were installed I blew 18 inches of fiberglass in the entire attic… Might need some advice on how to get an NVR to output to COAX.

3. I am debating building the system from piece parts vs. a complete package. My impression is that the Asian cameras from Hiki and Dahua are pretty decent (and can be upgraded later), but I am distrustful of a cheap NVR after my experience with the Samsung harddrive failure. If, for example, I used hiki cameras with a GeoVision NVR am I going to have compatibility issues/other headaches? Who else makes high quality NVRs for at least 4 channels? Model numbers appreciated.

4. My other hesitation: I relied on Samsung’s tech service (which was actually very good) to help get my system connected to my home network. Because my old DVR was in a concealed location without a network drop, I used an extra AT&T U-verse set top box (which has an Ethernet drop) to connect my DVR to the network. This, and other things, would have been a struggle to work through without Samsung’s support. If I buy piece parts, am I up a creek as far as technical support vs. buying a complete solution?

Thank you so much for the help.

Incidentally, I located the DVR in a concealed location and ran COAX from the DVR to the monitor in our kitchen. So my output from any future NVR will have to be converted to COAX.

Not necessarily; you should be able to view your cameras from any computer in your house via your LAN. The NVR itself can even be "headless" if you want. If done correctly, you will even be able to monitor your cameras over the Internet on your cellular phone.

Because my old DVR was in a concealed location without a network drop, I used an extra AT&T U-verse set top box (which has an Ethernet drop) to connect my DVR to the network.

I don't know what AT&T charges to rent you that extra set top box, but surely it's worth your time and trouble to run that one extra wire so that your DVR can be on your network in a standard manner?

We have been using computers/cellphones on the previous system to monitor in the past, but we liked having a fixed monitor in one room that we can glance at on the way to the door before answering.

Great point on the cost of the extra set top box! Just talked to my wife and found out it was costing us $8 a month! I'll run that extra drop, 18" of insulation or not!

I used hiki cameras with a GeoVision NVR am I going to have compatibility issues/other headaches? Who else makes high quality NVRs for at least 4 channels? Model numbers appreciated.

I will suggest you using a kit to avoid compatibility issues. For example, you need to buy Geovision License for each hiki camera. It costs $40~60 (each) extra. The most important thing is some functions can not be supported. I hated to spend lots money and can't get all. So, I bought Laview's IP Kits from Newegg. The model# is LV-KNT0404D1 which I got. It has everything I need like inexpensive, good image quality and easy to install. Especially, it supports Audio Recording. As I know, not many IP Kits support Audio Recording.