johnp

PTZ signals

I'm involved in a project to install a series of Pelco Spectra III cameras with IFS transceivers to send video and PTZ control to a central site over fiber. Until we get the fiber backbone and system up and running I need a way to check PTZ functions through a mockup of the tranceiver arrangement. What I am looking for is some information on what to feed onto the data lines to perform basic PTZ movements. Does anyone have any insight into the makeup of the data stream used for PTZ positioning. We've already blown our budget by buying a Pelco Remote Monitoring Kit (RMK) only to find out that the "remote' function is actually "local" via a 2 foot cable. The RMK testing only runs on RS-232 through a special RJ45 port on the camera and in actual use the PTZ function runs via RS422 through different circuitry. I have some knowledge in PIC processors and am looking to building a rudimentary control device for temporary testing. Any insight would be appreciated.

Can't really help you there, but the only thing that I can say is that this is a prime example of where you should have hired a professional.

I assume that you are using pelco DVR'S, 8000 series maybe?

Can't it be connected to notebook and controlled with some PTZ compatible software? I believe there are RS422 to RS232 converters to connect to PC COM port.

Actully if you call Pelco, they will give you the protcol. It's looking for 2400 baud, half duplex ascii text. (if you use Pelco D.)

SM: Hire a professional? You're right; you can't help me. Other replies: Thanks, I downloaded the PTZ control program from Pelco and hope I can use it, but there are two "Ifs". If #1) I have had marginal success trying to get one of the three USB ports (no serial ports) to work with a USB to Serial adapter. I have three adapters and they work with most devices but not serailly with my GPS and another special serial printer. I do have on order, to arrive Monday or Tuesday, a RS-232 to RS-422 adapter from B&B Electronics to allow me to try the software on my laptop. If #2) I hesitate dragging my laptop around the site and taking a chance on damage or theft. I just thought it might be easier to make a rudimentary device with a cheap PIC processor - I carry some with me.

I will contact Pelco, again, and ask them for them for the protocol. I just assumed it was something they didn't wish to share. They can't fire me or shoot me, so I'll give it a try.

Thanks for the positive replies and I'm still listening.

The protocols normally come with the camera manual ... at least with the GE PTZs .. but interesting article none the less.

Gosh, now I know why Installers rave about the Bosch PTZ, you do not need a keyboard or even a data cable, you can use the Bilinx tool (fairly cheap) device that communicates with the PTZ over the coax cable the best part is you can even use it to program presets and every function of the camera, even the address which you need to actually manually change at the camera head for most PTZ's

you can do that with most PTZs. With all the OSD cameras out there, they generally can all be progammed the same way - the bosh one only works with bosh cameras and bosh software, and you need to use their crappy DVR remotely to be able to set it up remotely. Pano does it also, and so does Pelco .... Anything can be done these days, it just takes people to get off their butts and do it already, dont see anything as being unique as more than likley those people got the idea from someone else ..

Thanks to all that responded to my quest for information. I built a PTZ controller using a 16F877 PIC microproessor. It was tested at the closet where the camera data lines are home runned and also at the receiver end of the transceiver pair through the fiber optic link. All worked well although it needed a few software changes to work better.

Thanks again,

John P