kutsyy

help with basic home system for streaming

Hello,

I am looking into setting up a basic home monitoring system. We have a pool in the location that is hard to see from most of the house but we would like to have an eye on while kids are there. So while I am looking at that I would want to have an ability to monitor a few more areas. Here is what I am thinking about:

2 outdoor camera minimum.

5-6 cameras would be good going forward, can work with 4 camera limit.

streaming is required (internally to computer/tablet/iphone, externally to web browser and iphone).

motion alarms is very good to have.

dvd record may be usefull.

night vision would be nice to have.

I started to look at cheap systems at Costco (4 channel 4 D1 cameras Q-see for $299, and 8 channel 4 D1 cameras Swann for 449), but after reading this forums I started to think about building system myself.

So a few questions:

really how bad would check costco system be for what I need?

If I would setup system by myself, using my computer as main controller, what software is available?

What cameras should I look at (I understand that 5M ACTi is good, but do I really need it)?

Thanks a lot,

Vadim

Edited by Guest

what makes you want to get the 5mp camera? almost all DVRs and nvrs do streaming via web and mobile phone now.

you mentioned specs but do you have a price range in mind? generally I don't recommend using your home computer as an nvr if u will be using it for other stuff.

I don't want 5m camera, so I am asking for recommendation. I am actually thinking about 2m wide angle (e44 with 96 degrees at the widest as an example).

I don't have set budget in mind, but I see no reason to buy something what is better if I don't need it.

Thanks,

Vadim

Edited by Guest