Sign in to follow this  
zoster

Getting Started: Three Questions

I'd like to eventually buy a really reliable, high-quality security camera system but, before I do and in the meantime, I would like to get a fairly inexpensive system for my house that will be easy to install and provide 4 to 8 camera coverage of a few areas of my yard at night. I have already invested in an alarm system for the house. I'm looking to spend around $300-$400 and, for that kind of money, I'm not expecting to be able to recognize faces or number plates. A party in the neighborhood has been causing problems for me by burglarizing me and vandalizing my property every few days/nights. So, the goal right now is to get an inexpensive system installed and then eventually replace it with a much better system after I've done enough research to know what I want and install it myself.

So here are three questions that I have right now:

1.) Can you recommend a decent, inexpensive system that I can pick up online at a vendor like Amazon.com that would include the DVR and 4 to 8 cameras? I haven't got any experience in the installation of these things so easy installation would be a big help. The outdoor areas I would be covering would be lighted on a scale from adequate (say, mall parking lot level) to very good and distances would range from 20 to 60 feet. Internet capability would be very nice.

2.) I would like to have two or three of the cameras viewing through windows, at least initially before I install them properly outside. Since these type packages usually come with exterior IR lighted cameras, would this type of camera be able to capture images through a pane of glass or would I have to get a camera without the IR diodes?

3.) How reliable are wireless camera systems? I ask because I've heard that interference can interrupt camera transmission sometimes, and one of the individuals involved here is a ham radio operators so I assume they might try that tactic.

Any help here will naturally be really appreciated. And thanks in advance for any suggestions, guys.

Zoster

This is bump on this post. Can any of you guys out there wanna give me a little help on this? I'd really appreciate it.