Sign in to follow this  
BlackICE

Zyxel Switch

I'm going to be setting up a 5-6 camera system and I'm trying to decide on a fanless POE switch. From searching the forum it sounds like the Zyxel ES1100-8P is a solid choice. Since it's only got 4 POE ports I would need to run two of them. Would running two of them cause more headaches in setting things up or accessing the cameras than just getting something with 8 POE like a Cisco SF 302-08P?

Thanks

I run two. 3 POE on each. Have them stacked on top of each other and can not feel any heat build up. They are working well.

What I'm really trying to figure out is if having cameras on two different POE switches will make accessing them remotely or through the software(think I'm going to use Acti) any more difficult. I'm new to IP cameras and I'm just learning how everything fits together.

No, there will be no issues. If you draw it out you still have a "flat" network as long as you keep all your IP's in the same range. Zyxel makes great stuff, I have been using them for more than ten years both at home and at work.

The only issue that I see with that switch is the 4 PoE ports... Is my understanding correct...? is there a way to configure it to have all 8 PoE...?

Why wouldn't you get their ES-1100-16P,

is there a reason to use two 8's?

Yes, I wanted to avoid any fan noise which is why I'm going to use two of the ES1100-8P's.