fixit9660

Test / Siting Camera recommendation

Hi All,

I'm guessing that all the commercial CCTV installers have one of these, I'd like to know what they use.

I'm looking for a camera that I can use for Testing / Siting proving / general investigation work. I want a camera that must be wireless, be able to Pan, Tilt and Zoom, and be generally self contained. I want something that I can easily mount, via a long pole and clamp if necessary, to prove the location for view/shelter/obstruction, before I go to all the trouble of running cables, drilling holes in roofs and soffits, etc of a CCTV camera, only to find it's not correctly sited to do the job.

At the moment I'm looking at this http://www.ipcam-shop.co.uk/en/dericam-m601w.html and strapping on a battery pack to last 24 hours or thereabouts, along with a spring-loaded clamp. Then I'll be able to place it in locations under roof eaves, soffits, trees, etc, to prove the view/location beforehand, without ever having to climb a ladder or drill a hole/run a cable in those hard-to-get-to-places. I'll be able to sit back with my laptop and review the whole operation in comfort.

Obviously once the site has been proven I'll need to run the cables etc, but as a proving tool it would be invaluable. It would also be handy for those "what's in my shed doing all the damage and how's it getting in", or "someone is damaging my car/house/property" situations where a temporary camera is all that's needed.

All recommendations heartily welcomed, please.

Thanks

Andy.

I've seen self contained systems when I was at ISC West but didn't take notes on that. But I would think you can build it, just get a PTZ camera that runs on 12V, a 12V battery, a mobile broadband router with a mobile broadband USB stick (or a WiFi router if you will be that close) and mount the camera to an outdoor metal nema enclosure with the battery and stuff you need inside and then put pole mounting straps on the back of that to mount to like a light pole or telephone pole. Then just strap the contraption on a pole, check it all from your laptop, no wires, no mess. If it has to be for an extended time, put a 12v solar panel on top of it. Keeping everything 12V will make it easier.