BML

Basic CCTV for an absolute beginer?

I became interested in CCTV because the security lights at the end of my 60 foot back garden and outside my kitchen door kept activating. I was not bothered about the possibility that the lights were being activated by intruders because I doubt that they would waste their time on me and anyway I have a large shotgun.

However, I was intrigued as to what was activation the lights thinking that it could be a Fox, a Cat or even a Hedgehog.

I know nothing about CCTV although I do subscribe to the opinion that one normally gets what one is prepared to pay so I started to look at the postings in these forums and the more I read the less I understood. I noted that there are Digital systems and Analogue system and have no idea what the difference is. I note that companies like Maplin in England start selling systems at around the £300.00 and their advertising suggests that they can be set up by an amateur.

I’m not certain if this is the correct forum to ask this question but if it’s not then perhaps a Moderator would be kind enough to move it.

The sort of system I envisage would have two cameras pointing from the front of where I live which can be attached to the dwelling. One camera pointing to the area opposite my kitchen door which can be attached to the dwelling and two cameras covering the area at the end of my back garden 60 feet away.

I would like instant access to what triggers a particular camera so I can enjoy discovering what wild life is moving about in the day time and night and I would like any activity to be recorded. I have no idea if the camera’s have to be connected by a wire link or if they transmit what they see. I do hope that this makes sense.