Sign in to follow this  
kenpie

Copper-clad steel for long runs?

I'm setting up a system at an industrial location, I have a few questions regarding purchasing cable and connectors;

Firstly, I already have cameras, power and mounting hardware.

The cameras are Ultrak KC552BCN.

The longest run is about 1000ft.

All cabling will installed such that it's away from any high voltage, mig welding and other interference sources.

Some cameras are outdoor.

I was going to purchase 1000ft rolls of RG6/U and terminate with F-type waterproof-c/BNC adapter outdoors, and BNC twist on indoors.

My questions:

1. I do understand that RG59 is preferable, but would be safe to use Belden copper-clad steel 18AWG RG6?

2. For outdoor BNC, how should I terminate the cable?

I am new to CCTV, and I gladly welcome any comments or advice! Thank you.

edit: longest is 1000ft, not 500ft

Edited by Guest

Industrial location with 400tvl analog cameras? This is old technology...

People are switching to IP for res. Why did you choose analog and these cameras?

I'm setting up a system at an industrial location, I have a few questions regarding purchasing cable and connectors;

The cameras are 50ohm BNC/24V 400TVL.

The longest run is about 500ft.

All cabling will installed such that it's away from any high voltage, mig welding and other interference sources.

I was going to purchase 1000ft rolls of RG6/U and terminate with F-type waterproof-c/BNC adapter outdoors, and BNC twist on indoors.

My questions:

1. I do understand that RG59 is preferable, but would be safe to use Belden copper-clad steel 18AWG RG6?

Industrial location with 400tvl analog cameras? This is old technology...

People are switching to IP for res. Why did you choose analog and these cameras?

My background is in IT, I would much prefer to go with IP, as I am unfamiliar with analog cameras. But, I didn't have a choice on the matter - cameras are either existing (mounted, outdoor heated enclosure) or purchased as a lot before I started.

The cameras are 50ohm BNC/24V 400TVL.

The longest run is about 1000ft.

My questions:

I would be surprised if your cameras are 50^, they haven't been around since the ark ran aground. If they ARE 50^ you should be using RG58. Your problems are many - 50^ cameras running on 75^ cable. RG6 in an industrial environment will likely suffer from LF EMR/RF interference. 500' of copper clad steel RG6 cable in an industrial environment with low res analogue cameras AND impedance mismatched - is there ANYTHING in that last sentence that isn't a problem ? May the force be with you.

RG6 in an industrial environment will likely suffer from LF EMR/RF interference. 500' of copper clad steel RG6 cable in an industrial environment with low res analogue cameras AND impedance mismatched - is there ANYTHING in that last sentence that isn't a problem ? May the force be with you.

I understand this is a real mess.

Is there actually hope of this working if I used RG58?

Should I toss 20 Ultrak KC552BCNs and recorders to buy IP cameras?

Are you sure these are 50^ cameras?

There are so many potential sources of problems I'd be surprised if you got a decent outcome. You could be lucky, it can happen.

Are you sure these are 50^ cameras?

I'm not sure the cameras are 50ohm, just that the BNC does not fit a 75ohm, but fits a 50ohm.

My questions:

Copper-clad cable, whether RG59. RG6 or any other coax is not suitable for CCTV for runs much longer than 100 feet. CCTV is low frequency, which travels inside the conductor. Copper-clad wire can be used for RF due to something called the "skin effect", where high frequencies travel on the outside of a conductor and it doesn't matter what the inside is made of. Since steel is both cheaper and stronger than copper, it makes sense to use copper-clad for RF like TV signals but not for low frequency CCTV signals.

By the way, the camera is 75 ohms and you will need 75 ohm cable. BNC = BNC (as far as the connector side) and you can safely use 50 ohm or 75 ohm BNC's as long as they will properly crimp onto the cable selected. RG59 copper-copper is good to just about 1,000 feet. RG6 copper-copper is good to about 1,500 feet.

I agree with others - the cameras are pretty old and of lower quality at 330 TVL resolution. There are better choices.

You may want to try another connector, I've never seen a CCTV camera with a 50 Ohm output. Even with the differences in connector design between 50 and 75 Ohm connectors, they can still interconnect. Copper clad steel cable will doom your project, both for signal loss and interference. It is only designed for use with modulated high frequency signals, not baseband video like CCTV signals.

229995_1.jpg

At those distances, you may want to consider using baluns, the cost of the cable will be much less (if you are powering the cameras locally, one CAT5 cable can carry four signals), and will have less likelihood of interference.