Sign in to follow this  
Hitch

Need help/thoughts for a system for my parents

As referenced in my other posts on this site, I installed a system at my house. It was, at times, fairly frustrating, but between your help here and calls to Axis I was able to get it done. Fortunately, I was able to grab some Axis cams by waiting for price dips on-line. In the end, I feel like I now have very good quality cameras. I am pretty happy with it. Obviously, fumbling through the install by myself saved a chunk of money. I suspect, however, that if I paid for a professional install that I would have better pictures from the cameras, as I really don't know how to tweak them.

With that as background, my parents need to install a system at their place. They really only need to install a camera or two for the front. Probably two cameras. They also want audio (which is something that I have no experience with).

Unfortunately, I'll be the tech on this install.

I looked at Costco's website and read a number of the threads on here regarding those systems. On the plus side, they are all-in-one systems at a very good price. On the bad side, it appears that there is not much support and some tinkering ensues. I've also been unable to find information about adding audio.

To me, the other option is to buy them a couple of Axis cameras and a PoE switch. I was thinking that I needed to buy them some sort of an NVR, but I don't know that is necessary at this point. With the Axis, I could buy a 64GB and not use an NVR. Again, simple. When ever something goes wrong with the system, regardless of whether their tinkering caused it, I'll be the one to fix it.

I tried to use the Axis design tool. Unfortunately, the camera that I would like to get for them is not included in the tool. Using what appears to be another 1MP camera, it looks like I can get a solid 7 days out of the 64GB card (using event recording, assuming 30% usage, 18 fps, 1280x800 resolution, H.264 compression type and compression of 30). Actually, the tool shows 40.3GB. Bumping the usage up to 40% still shows 53.8GB after 7 days. Seven days should be plenty of storage for them.

For my parents, I really need something that is reliable and hardy. My mom won't mess with it, but my dad thinks that he knows how to do stuff. He tinkers and tends to leave a path of destruction....

As a result, I am kind of leaning towards the Axis. It will very much help that I have some understanding of the product and their software. Also, the on-board storage will (should???) avoid the need for a separate NVR. How much ongoing tinkering do the Costco systems require?

With regards to audio, can someone give me some suggestions on something that could be used with the Axis? How well does that work? I think they are hoping to pick up to the end of their driveway, which is only about 30 feet.

Can I add audio (just receiving - not a speaker) to the Costco systems?

Am I heading in the wrong direction? Any thoughts/comments would be appreciated.

No audio on the Costco bundle. Usually it's a step up in price to get audio. Axis has a mic for their cameras but crazy expensive. If you want Axis level of support but lower in price, i would recommend ACTi. They have excellent free NVR software (also supports Axis cameras but not free) and has cameras in a wide variety of price ranges. The problem for me with Axis is for home installs, having IR illuminators in the camera is nice to have and they are limited in cameras with this.

I've got some Axis p33 series and record directly to NAS - but have tried the SSD too. Works perfectly. I use the ACC computer program that Axis provides for free to monitor multiple cameras and recordings. Also very simple to use and works great. All my front door recordings are event based. I record at max resolution and 30fps and get about 20g per week. Set to auto delete after a week but can obviously go longer.

Certainly reliable and hardy ... no problems yet.

I've also setup a microphone at the front door and am really surprised how well it works. I wouldn't setup without it now. I can post a couple of pics of mic installation if you like.

I've got some Axis p33 series and record directly to NAS - but have tried the SSD too. Works perfectly. I use the ACC computer program that Axis provides for free to monitor multiple cameras and recordings. Also very simple to use and works great. All my front door recordings are event based. I record at max resolution and 30fps and get about 20g per week. Set to auto delete after a week but can obviously go longer.

I've also setup a microphone at the front door and am really surprised how well it works. I wouldn't setup without it now. I can post a couple of pics of mic installation if you like.

Thanks StanLee! Would very much appreciate hearing what mic you have and seeing a pic or two of the installation.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MIC-AUDIO-MICROPHONE-FOR-SECURITY-CCTV-SPY-CAM-CAMERA-/370528555200?pt=US_Laser_Pointers&hash=item56453910c0

Why not just use this microphone?

Thanks StanLee! Would very much appreciate hearing what mic you have and seeing a pic or two of the installation.

No audio on the Costco bundle. Usually it's a step up in price to get audio. Axis has a mic for their cameras but crazy expensive. If you want Axis level of support but lower in price, i would recommend ACTi. They have excellent free NVR software (also supports Axis cameras but not free) and has cameras in a wide variety of price ranges. The problem for me with Axis is for home installs, having IR illuminators in the camera is nice to have and they are limited in cameras with this.

Thanks! Where do you recommend shopping for ACTi cameras? Also, what would you recommend? I tend to think that a 1MP is sufficient.

EDIT: After posting this, I remembered that you have mentioned a specific website in some of your posts. I found the website.

I have to admit that I'm fairly confused with the whole IR illuminator thing. On the one hand, I read that the internal ones can bleed into the cam view. Or, that they tend to draw in bugs or spiders, which can affect the view of the cam. It seems like more people recommend a separate IR, slightly away from the camera. At that point, you can stay away from the cam. manufacturer's illuminator. I've also read that people recommend just using the regular lights on the front of your house - LED lights in particular. I guess that I am sufficiently confused about IR that it doesn't end up affecting my decisions.

IR illuminators can be expensive, a least a few hundred, requires that you run separate power and you have an extra piece of equipment to look at. Raytec is the brand to get, about $300ish for their RM25. We have one going in later this month, just shy of $1,400.

As for spiders, depends. Out of 5 outside camera, for some reason, only 2 attract spiders. I have to go wipe the lens with duster about once a week during spider season, so maybe 3-4 times a year for me in So Cal. I've been lazy but putting a chemical with a strong scent like Citronella or Citrus oil is supposed to keep them away.

Here are some pics from my front door camera installation with microphone. I'm using the ME52W microphone from Olympus. Got it directly from them for about $20. I chose this because of the 'stuby' design and can be easily removed, its directional which helps avoid background noise, can be rotated/angled and even comes with a cute foam cover to help with wind noise! It works really well, however I tried other microphones I had lying around and also got good performance.

Here is the package ...

230129_1.jpg

The mic ...

230129_2.jpg

The audio plug mounted under the soffit (purchased separately) ...

230129_3.jpg

The mic plugged in ...

230129_4.jpg

you can see the mic just above the left side of door ...

230129_5.jpg

And just for fun, the view from the Axis p3364 max resolution about half hour before sunset ... during the day when the light is really bright, the day picture looks even sharper. I'll try posting one too.

230129_6.jpg

and at night ... This is with a single 8W LED bulb in a lamp over the door out of view. you can see some light reflection from it. This is also at a gain of 12db - it can go much higher even lighting up the scene more. But I prefer this more natural look.

230129_8.jpg

Edited by Guest

So you don't need an amplified mic with the AXIS p33? That's great, very nice setup. I'm amazed how much light the 8w LED bulbs put out, makes a huge difference at my house and I leave 2 of them from dusk to dawn with WattStopper Timer switch. You can also get the P3364-LVE that has the illuminators. IR illuminators are more discrete at night when you can't have lights on because it disturbs you or the neighbors. Comes down to budget and if you want higher resolution.

StanLee - Thanks so much for the pictures and info. I appreciate the effort. That's a nice looking install - and a great looking place you have there. You are inspiring me to do some tweaking of my cams. Mine are a bit bleached out. Your colors are much more rich.

Buellwinkle - I keep toying with the idea of adding an IR to my system. Just haven't taken the step. I ended up getting some LED's for the front of the house. Hate to admit it, but I haven't put them in yet. I tend to leave the lights by my front door on every night. On weekends, I also leave on the 2 lights by the garage. I wish more of my neighbors would leave lights on - especially after there were a couple break-ins a few months ago.

Also, do the ACTi cams do audio? I reviewed the information on the website, but couldn't find any confirmation.

Some of their cameras do audio, but most do not. I agree, front of my garage the lights work better than IR, but I have the side and backyards where there may be landscape lights that look good, but they backlight the subject so actually hurt more than they help. My front door is next to my bedroom window so unfortunately can't leave lights on. Indoors, I can't imagine not using IR because can't leave lights on all night.

You can always mix & match, find the best camera for the task. For example, we go away a lot, so we have a AVTech camera indoors with PIR motion detect, 2 way audio and push video so we get zero false alerts and instant alerts from their app that automatically plays back the last recorded video within seconds of a detect. This is separate from my normal NVR and cameras, it's on only when we leave for a while, sort of the canary in the coal mine. Once I know there's an issue, I can log into the NVR software to get the bigger picture. If I had my NVR software notify me of each motion alert, I would get hundreds a day, LOL.

So you don't need an amplified mic with the AXIS p33? That's great, very nice setup. I'm amazed how much light the 8w LED bulbs put out, makes a huge difference at my house and I leave 2 of them from dusk to dawn with WattStopper Timer switch. You can also get the P3364-LVE that has the illuminators. IR illuminators are more discrete at night when you can't have lights on because it disturbs you or the neighbors. Comes down to budget and if you want higher resolution.

You have a choice of using amplified or not. There is actually one already provided with the camera, but just can't see it working that well inside the dome. I've got my outdoor lights on one of those switches with astronomical clocks. Works like a charm! Mine is set to turn off at midnight. I might just get IR to turn on with motion after that time ... or just use a 3-5W LED. This should be just enough for me to see myself in when coming in late and should also provide just enough light to recognize someone approaching the door. This shouldn't bother the neighbors.

StanLee - Thanks so much for the pictures and info. I appreciate the effort. That's a nice looking install - and a great looking place you have there. You are inspiring me to do some tweaking of my cams. Mine are a bit bleached out. Your colors are much more rich.

Thanks for the compliment Hitch. I spent all lf last summer installing those pavers. Wish the camera was installed at the time - would have made for some great time lapse video! I also thought about ACTi, but already had an Axis and didn't want to complicate things. They seem to be very good value for the money.

I use the WattStopper Astronomical light switch I got at my local electrical supply house, very nice, has a bright OLED display, better than the one at Home Depot.

@ StanLee2066

Your Front Door solution looks really great! Thanks for posting this.

Do you use a NVR? If so, what kind?

I am also looking for a good Front Door solution, In addition to a good camera I would like...

It would be nice if the camera had two-way audio built-in

System should be HD, using PoE cameras.

Two way audio

iPhone/iPad integration so I can see who is at the door and talk to them from my family room.

A good easy to use dedicated NVR that will work from a Mac OS computer using Safari.

I am relatively new to this whole thing, and I am learning as I go.

Whoops... I just discovered that I am asking about an NVR sulotion in a pc and software area of the forum. I hope this is not a problem.

Thanks

If you use all Axis (models that support Edge recording), you can use the free ACC app that runs in the camera to record to an SD card or a CIFS mount (NAS) and then you run a Windows program to view the recordings, no Mac support, no browser support.

I personally use Milestone XProtect NVR software and they have versions in all price ranges from free to expensive. While it runs on Windows, you can view the cameras/recordings from any browser, including Safari on OS X and it includes IOS & Android apps.

I did use Synology Surveillance Station for a while, an NVR solution on a smart NAS. Worked pretty well but was a little sluggish for me. Feature rich. All browser based and can be access from a Mac.

@ StanLee2066

Your Front Door solution looks really great! Thanks for posting this.

Do you use a NVR? If so, what kind?

I am also looking for a good Front Door solution, In addition to a good camera I would like...

It would be nice if the camera had two-way audio built-in

System should be HD, using PoE cameras.

Two way audio

iPhone/iPad integration so I can see who is at the door and talk to them from my family room.

A good easy to use dedicated NVR that will work from a Mac OS computer using Safari.

I am relatively new to this whole thing, and I am learning as I go.

Whoops... I just discovered that I am asking about an NVR sulotion in a pc and software area of the forum. I hope this is not a problem.

Thanks

You will find that Buell provides a ton of help/advice on this forum.

Take a look at some of StanLee's posts on here, that will give you more information.

Take a look at this thread:

viewtopic.php?t=33746

That thread goes through my progression of searching, buying and installing. As of now, I have three Axis cameras. Two are the P3364 and one is a P3367. I use a Synology. I had it before I bought the cams. I use it to store my video, but do not use Synology Surveillance Station, which is Synology's video software. I use the free software from Axis. Depending on where I am, I access the cams via (i) a web browser (including Safari); (ii) the Axis camera companion app for iPhone/iPad; or (iii) IP Camera Lite - which is also an app for the iPhone/iPad.

Synology is not, however, a dedicated NVR.

Also, check out posts by Voip-ninja. He has, I believe, two Axis cam's. I think he also has a couple Samsungs.

Last, you can use the ACC application on a Windows PC to manage the camera(s). The other option is to manage the cameras by logging into them through a browser. Personally, I like to manage mine through a browser.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MIC-AUDIO-MICROPHONE-FOR-SECURITY-CCTV-SPY-CAM-CAMERA-/370528555200?pt=US_Laser_Pointers&hash=item56453910c0

Why not just use this microphone?

Hey buddy in order use the microphone that u posted from ebay. Would i do setup like this: 235404_1.jpg

So i dont need to connect the mic to camera? Looking forward to ur reply thx