CCTVDude

Home Automation and GeoVision

The relay box will allow more input/outputs, also allow for up to 6a at 240v,10a at 125v, where the gv-io will only send a signal to low voltage and cant switch heavy currents,AFAIK

The relay is a relay, while the IO are just the inputs and outputs to the DVR .. so you need both as far as i know .. i havent used them yet, but used relays with alarm panels .. relays are used to trigger other devices, and you can provide voltage to those other devices also, such as sirens, lights, etc.

you could also just buy relays and power supplies from Rat Shack if you needed ..
And then use them with the GV-IO right? For direct high-voltage use?

you'd need a high voltage relay, ive never touched them .. just the low voltage ones .. but yeah it would go into the I/O on the DVR. Input from an alarm device, Output to a relay.

Yep, happy new year to yah too

Im not a relay expert, mostly just used them for sirens from Alarm Panels, and i havent used any of the Geo relay or I/O stuff (so dont take my word for it until you try it), though a colleague here uses relays extensively, even created entire phone systems out of rat shack relays ..

I've used a bunch of both the I/O's and the I/Onet cards, The biggest thing for me, is that with the I/O net cards, we can have a dry contact on the output, where when we use the I/O's we had to go through a relay. For unlocking Doors, etc... We have only done it tying it together with an access control system, hooking the output from the I/Onet to the egress input.

Also, we buy all of our geovision parts from Digital Watchguard. They are really helpful.