ciguli

Please help: I need to upgrade my system before it kills me!

Hi,

I've been using a CCTV system for the past few years and I cannot hate my current system enough. Unfortunately here where I live (Turkey), the system I'll explain below is widely used and the market is full of useless and overpriced hardware.

My current system is a PC-based solution. I have two PCs, each with four 16-channel hardware cards made by a company called Hikvision. And the cameras are either Dunlop, Elegance or some other unknown brands. And 4+1 copper wires run from cameras to the PCs. My main problem are the server and client software. They are full of bugs, very unstable and run only on Windows XP. The company who installed my system acknowledges the problems, but they don't have any solution.

Upon not seeing any of the brands I use mentioned here, I feeel like my system long became obsolete. Is that true? I thought the software solution always came with IP cameras; and the rest with 4 copper wires are used with DVRs. However, my system is a mixture of both.

I do not want to change my cameras and cables; they are fine. But how can I upgrade my recorder? Would you recommend a DVR? Or maybe better software such as Avermedia, Geovision, Exacq etc (if they are compatible with my cameras). I was told that each hardware card is compatible with its manufacturer's software; if that's true, than I would have to replace my cards as well.

And last, but not least, I've watched a few review videos of Samsung DVRs and they seemed quite effective and stable. What can be said about them? Are they compatible with any cameras?

Many thanks

Are the cameras ip or analog?

Are all the cameras fixed position or are some PTZ?

From what you describe, I'm assuming its a pc based dvr so you probably have analog cameras that terminate to the dvr with BNC connections.

You should be able to just swap out with a proper sized dvr from another company.

You would also probably be best posting some pics for more help.

From your descriptions of the wiring, I'm a little confused but thinking maybe your cameras have been wired with utp and baluns.

Utp can be cat5e (or 6) or possibly 4 conductor cable.

ciguli,

Hikvision cards are great. The card you have is not that bad, it can actually record at 4CIF (704x576) at 12 images per second on each channel. If the specs on the computers where they are installed are fine, I would at first try to update software before switching to a DVR. If there has been no maintenance on those computers, you must be running outdated software. You could easily update to Windows 7, install the latest drivers and Hikvision software, and you should have more than decent DVRs. You could even look at different software options to run on those cards.

A DVR will give you a hassle free installation, that is for sure. You will not have to bother about operating system, drivers, software, updates, etc., you will just use them to replace the 2 computers, put them in place, and forget. But if I understand correctly, this is a big installation with 128 cameras (2 computers, each computer 4 cards, each card 16 channels).

Before throwing everything away, I would first try to update one computer using a new hard drive. Just buy a new HD, take out one of the DVRs, remove the current hard drive/s, and use the new one to make a test install with everything updated, and see how it works.

Hikvision is a great brand; it is in fact the 5th company in the security world according to Asmag's "Security top 50", and the first CCTV supplier from China.

ciguli,

Hikvision cards are great. The card you have is not that bad, it can actually record at 4CIF (704x576) at 12 images per second on each channel. If the specs on the computers where they are installed are fine, I would at first try to update software before switching to a DVR. If there has been no maintenance on those computers, you must be running outdated software. You could easily update to Windows 7, install the latest drivers and Hikvision software, and you should have more than decent DVRs. You could even look at different software options to run on those cards.

A DVR will give you a hassle free installation, that is for sure. You will not have to bother about operating system, drivers, software, updates, etc., you will just use them to replace the 2 computers, put them in place, and forget. But if I understand correctly, this is a big installation with 128 cameras (2 computers, each computer 4 cards, each card 16 channels).

Before throwing everything away, I would first try to update one computer using a new hard drive. Just buy a new HD, take out one of the DVRs, remove the current hard drive/s, and use the new one to make a test install with everything updated, and see how it works.

Hikvision is a great brand; it is in fact the 5th company in the security world according to Asmag's "Security top 50", and the first CCTV supplier from China.

Yes, there are about 128 cameras. And just make sure, I've checked my card's name under device manager and it is listed as "DUNLOP DS40xXHC". Now I recall it being Dunlop DS 4016 HSI. The compnay who installed my system told me that it is same as Hikvision card (even the part numbers match). I don't know if it's true or if Dunlop is a sub-company of Hikvision. But yes, I agree, I should first try updating the software as my main problem is the software.