darkNiGHTS

Help with basics regarding controlling a camera with zoom

It is hard to find things explaining this for people new to video surveillance, I searched but came up with very little useful info and no concrete answers.

Here are my questions.

1. If a camera can accept a RS485 controller, then if I attach a motorized C-mount lens to the camera, can I control the zoom with the controller?

2. If a camera has a RS485 connector, I can get an RS485 USB adapter and use my computer as a controller?

Thanks, Cory

1. If a camera can accept a RS485 controller, then if I attach a motorized C-mount lens to the camera, can I control the zoom with the controller?

Not really. What is that camera? A camera accepting RS485 controller doesn't mean that the camera can control external lenses, most likely that RS485 input is for the OSD menu.

2. If a camera has a RS485 connector, I can get an RS485 USB adapter and use my computer as a controller?

You can, but you will also need a software on your computer that is able to send commands to the camera.

Not really. What is that camera? A camera accepting RS485 controller doesn't mean that the camera can control external lenses, most likely that RS485 input is for the OSD menu.

You can, but you will also need a software on your computer that is able to send commands to the camera.

Thanks for the response. So if not every camera can control external lenses, how can you tell which ones can and can't? This is one of the cameras I was looking at.

http://www.hikvision.com/en/us/Products_show.asp?id=4203#Menu=ChildMenu10

Thanks for the response. So if not every camera can control external lenses, how can you tell which ones can and can't? This is one of the cameras I was looking at.

That is an IP camera, not an analog camera. So no, it can't control a zoom lens, it doesn't even have RS485 input. It does have digital zoom.

Why do you ned zoom? With 5mpx you do not have enough? Where do you want to zoom? And you want zoom without movement? (that is, you want to make zoom on the center of the image)

That is an IP camera, not an analog camera. So no, it can't control a zoom lens, it doesn't even have RS485 input. It does have digital zoom.

Why do you ned zoom? With 5mpx you do not have enough? Where do you want to zoom? And you want zoom without movement? (that is, you want to make zoom on the center of the image)

I need zoom because I'll be recording something remotely from behind the audience. So depending on what is on stage, I will need to zoom in or out. I think I figured out a good solution though, they have USB to LANC converters, so with a LANC compatible camcorder, I could be remotely controlling the camera from a computer on site. I just need to make sure the HDMI out is good from those cameras and doesn't include the OSD.

I need zoom because I'll be recording something remotely from behind the audience. So depending on what is on stage, I will need to zoom in or out. I think I figured out a good solution though, they have USB to LANC converters, so with a LANC compatible camcorder, I could be remotely controlling the camera from a computer on site. I just need to make sure the HDMI out is good from those cameras and doesn't include the OSD.

IP camera does not have HDMI direct output, if you need that get SDI Zoom Camera with a SDI to HDMI conveter.