lpdog

Use of UTP outside

Is there any special considerations for using UTP outdoors for CCTV transmission? The cable will be run on top of a flat roof. Should special outdoor cable be used? Lightning protection? PVC conduit? Thanks in advance.

I have used UTP CAT5E rated direct burial cable on several projects with great results. Even if there are PVC conduits I still use direct burial because most of the conduit end up having water in them. Also, I've come to the conclusion that the use of an active receive hub which allows for proper video equalization is essential. Most active hubs, such as NVT 1662 provide lightning protection. Good Luck.

You know, I really never understood why installers use PCV piping for running security video lines, when a crook wants to disable the camera, all they have to do is cut thru the pipe, which will take no time using a hacksaw with a good blade. I always use EMT (metal) piping for this reason, plus the job tends to go a little easier when installing the pipes, plastic tends to wabble all over the place, and almost all the jobs that I have seen with PCV, the lines look crooked.

there's easier ways to disable the camera than trying to locate the conduit, which shouldnt be exposed anyway if you can help it, such as paint gun from a distance .. imagine EMT pipe on the ocean side ..

when I install PVC I do it because the customer is on the cheap and wants "video" on the cheap. I present the customer with several options....low, medium, high, and crazy. I already know they have a quote for high. I can beat that by cut'n corners and delivering. I put it all on the table and the customer makes the choice, not me. I just want the install.

professional thieves are smart in one area. they usually hit a "soft target" before they hit a "hard target". if the hard target has video or alarms they usually go down the road. The DUMB (drugged, drunk, or stupid) thief hits targets or opportunity with little reguard for anything. They just want something.

cabling, all and any, can be beat. I think what most clients I have really want is the peace of mind, or the ability to pass that peace of mind to it's customers. one of my best techniques is to be honest and sell/plan a breakin by a professional. ie. remote the video storage, dummy recorders out in the open, lock boxes that work, hidden camera's, ect.

And my job is to provide a "system" that works as required. nothing worse than having a system "not record" when needed, and if it does you can't tell who is who because it is out of focus, cheap cams, poor quality, ect.

The best way is to keep people from disabling your surveillance is to limit their accessibility to your equipment and/or wiring. We actually don't have any wires within the height of a ladder on all of our stuff.

vandalresistance.jpg [/img]

We install PVC or any conduit only when the client "has the cash" to do so, as its not cheap. If its going outside, they have no other choice, except perhaps wire mould for cosmetics mostly, run along a wall.

all they have to do is cut thru the pipe, which will take no time using a hacksaw with a good blade. I always use EMT (metal) piping for this reason, .

The use of EMT is by standard elecrtical code illegal for outdoor use. The conduit of choice is RIGID galvanized steel pipe. A dull hacksaw blade and a sore arm the friggen crook would have!

Take a Hilti nail gun and drive those pipe straps into concrete and that pipe is going no where. We have to use a miter saw with a special black carbon cutting disc to cut that and it makes an aweful racket too! The pipe is used at gas stations and requires heavy bending and a skilled technician. You also can get away with 1/3 less expensive pipe called Intermediate Metaliic Conduit IMC which is easier to gorilla into shapes. As the elbows cost as much as the entire length.

There are many techniques to bending pipes and with the right tools you can make the cloest fit. a Hickey bender is the tool of choice for making the tightest fit in the smallest place, such as in a trench. Also threading your own pipe and making your own 90 degree elbows (sweeps).

In South Floirda the choice is clear, use PVC and dig 18"-24" down. or Use IMC rigid conduit and dig 8"-10" down legally. Bingo! It cost more, but less to install it if you plan on doing the job to code or even close ;oP

ADAM!

Actually, the Electrical Inspector is the one who informed me to use EMT instead of PVC.

I will see him later in the week, and ask him to explain why this is, I guess some states are different than others.

Now, don't get me wrong, I like using EMT, but PVC is much cheaper

i doubt they require it in a home or retail store, even down here the Hotels and High rise Condos require EMT but then they do their own wiring.

lightning fries everything down here, shoots right through the house and all .. taking out everything .. i dis be duckin !!

Course yall dealing with 5 storey buldings up there .. im talking regular homes .. PVC is all they run in the walls here, unless its a huge building.

The few small commercial CCTV installs I have done, I have also installed the security alarm system so this option was easy to do.... I ran a security wire and installed a plunger switch in the camera housing with a EOL resistor. If someone were to cut the PVC conduit the cables were ran in were cut, or open the housing, it would set off the alarm