Sign in to follow this  
fut1a

CCTV System Help

Would like some advice on my CCTV system please.

I wanted a reliable system for obviously security and if anything ever happened to my car I could see what on the system. I was going to try and fit the system myself but the wife said one of our friends sons works for a well known security company so she would ask him because the wife knows him well. Anyway the lad came down and I told him what I wanted, and we agreed on two cameras and a dvr for £500.

He fitted a 4 camera dvr and the 2 cameras, and took the boxes and everything away. The system worked for about 4 hours before the dvr would just light up like a christmas tree, and not do anything. I called the lad up and he came back a week later and said it looks like a faulty dvr. He took the dvr away and came back 2 weeks later with a 16 camera dvr. He said this would be OK even though I only had two cameras because you can press this button and it would just display 2 cameras and 2 blanks. So off he went and I had a play and I cant get it to just display 4 cameras on the tv, it scrolls through the whole 16 and if I want cameras 1 and 2 I have to keep pressing the button for 1 and 2. Plus it seems to record everything there can be 5 or 6 recordings in the space of a minute, and when you look there is never any movement. So if anything did happen it would take me all day to see it.

Now I wanted to have a look at what I got for my £500. The two cameras are Qvis Eye-600-FW and the dvr is a Qvis. looked to price them up on the net and I could buy the dvr for about £100 and the two cameras for around £27. So instead of feeling like a family friend has done us a favour I feel he has ripped us off.

I called him up again and told him the problem and he said he would call in to have a look. That was about 5 weeks ago and we have not heard anything. Now normally I would have called him up and told him exactly what I thought but because his mother and father are family friends I don't want to because of them. Since calling him the remote control has stopped working, (no it's not the batteries) he left us with 4 the system remote because they looked identical but you have always had to keep pressing it continuously to get it to do anything.

So I am at the point where I feel I have to write the system off. So can anyone offer any advice please?

Should I replace the dvr with a better one?

Should I replace the cameras for better ones?

Could I use the existing cabling if I replace the cameras and dvr or just the dvr?

So for the long winded post, and thanks for any advice in advance.

No, it seems the DVR has not been set to your requirements. Read the manual and learn how to disable tour/cycle/ which is likely set, causing your cameras to scroll through all 16 one at a time. Also just disable the channels that have nothing attached.

Hi , I am a professional UK installer .

The gear he fitted for you is badged QVIS and distributed in the UK by a company called Adata, they only supply trade only ,so how did you get a price from them ? And bear in mind these prices would have been plus VAT.

I bet they were out of stock of 4 ch dvr's and let him have a bigger unit when he sent the faulty one back, ( they have done a similar thing with me when I have been wanting to buy stock)

Also bear in mind he had had to buy a power supply for the cameras and buy cable as well, and pay a carriage fee from Adata.

Also bear in mind a lot of dome cameras look the same , whilst having a massive difference in specification.

My guess is that it probably took him the best part of a day to fit and for a total of £500 seems reasonable to me .

My company would have charged about £650. Bearing in mind wages , insurance, etc.

I just searched the internet and got prices on the Qvis stuff. Have a look at e-bay item number 290862211002 £199 for the dvr. As for the camera I have the user manual for it so I know which one I have.

It took him 3.5 hrs to install the system.

I don't mind the £500 so much, I would have paid more as long as it did what it's supposed to do, I thought we would get a descent system from someone we know, and I have a system that just does not work correctly.

The first box was no good, now the second box the remote has stopped working, and it records anything and everything.

The eBay listing you refer to , doesn't include a hard drive, what size hard drive do you have installed in your machine.

If you have a 1 tb hdd and 4 cameras , I would set it to record all 4 channels 24/7 anyway , you will get about 14 days recording before the disc overwrites.

To be honest , qvis stuff is pretty good , pro's use it all the time, I have used qvis on dozens of installations and never had any problems, the remote control might not work , coz you can have more than 1 remote on a system ,so you have to "pair" it to the dvr in order for it to work.

Maybe the person who fitted it for you bit off a bit more than he could chew!

Did he configure it for internet access, I bet he didn't!

Classic example of why you should pay a professional to do a professional job.

well this guy sounds like a cnut quite frankly. 5 weeks and he has not been? says it all really.

can't offer much help with the cctv as i'm a newbie, but don't listen to the mrs in future