jdcaduceus

System Setup - CCTV and HTPC - with NAS - Need help?

Hey Everyone! I am excited to find this forum and was hoping to get some guidance from the group here.

I already have an HTPC that I have connected to my home theater with a RJ45 to my switch. My switch (which does have 12 POE ports - gigabyte switch) is connected to my Router. My NAS, which has all of my movies and television shows, is about 30TB of space (10 bay NAS) running on Raid 10. I have wanted to do my own setup (as I think I am good with building systems and integrating them on a network) for a security surveillance system for my house. I can run cat 6 lines myself and am good on installing cameras (depending on fine tuning, focusing etc.). However I do need guidance on some setup for my system. My budget for this system is between $5k-7k. Here my questions:

1. NVR is where I want to go since I have a NAS and have about 30TB of space - I was hoping to have some guidance on this - is using the NAS the best way to go? WIll I still be able to see video remotely in real time even if NVR is recording on my NAS? I have a cable modem at highest speed - download 25-40 mb/sec and uploading 5mb/sec our around that.

2. As far as NVR on a NAS - I would appreciate some idea of setup. I dont mind purchasing a second NAS and setting that up solely for security system. That way I could have separate NAS for HTPC and one for CCTV - thoughts?

3. Firewall issues - If I do NVR with NAS - I have read where some people have created a different subnet mask for their IP cameras. I thought the entire network needed to be on the same subnet and you could provide static IP addresses for each camera so you could review them at any time remotely through your software - is that correct?

4. I am running windows 8 professional - do I need a different op system for setting up CCTV on NVR via NAS?

5. Cameras - I have researched these to the hilt. I would like 5mp B&W bullet camera on perimeters of my house with good quality NV via IR lights. I dont mind installing separate IR lights to help with illuminating the area - what brands have you guys reviewed that has this capability as NV and good quality are important to me??? I was looking at the Axis P3367-VE - I know its cost but was wondering if anyone had experience with this camera for a home security standpoint? Seems like with this Axis camera, I would not need any IR illuminators and I believe it has auto tracking (is this correct?).

6. Cameras - I have also looked a some cameras that are not bullet cameras but at 5mp that have auto tracking- I like this as it could mean I do not have to install as many cameras on each perimeter - but these auto tracking cameras are most color and I dont know if auto tracking is good for home security. Thoughts?

7. Software- I would like to find a name brand software that I can install on the security NAS - any recommendations? Is this possible?

8. Baby room setup - my wife and I are expecting and I want to put an IP camera in the baby room that is good quality and can also be added to my network - with remote viewing. However, my wife wants sound as well as video in case the baby is crying she can hear and attend to the baby. She is an avid runner and likes to run. So she asked me if there was a camera that we can install with sound that she can listen to on her iphone and she can hear and see the baby if something is wrong. Any ideas on what camera would be good for sound/video I can connect to this build? I would hate to buy these cheap baby cameras and monitors that some companies are pushing. Any advice on this?

I was looking at the Axis P3364-LVE - as it has 2 way audio - does that mean my wife could hear and talk to the baby if she wanted to over iphone?

I want to thank everyone in advance for any help and knowledge they can give me. Like I said, I have a good budget for this (this is my project my wife gave me to do before the baby is born) so I would like to do it right and with really good equipment as I have found in the past, you get what you pay for.

Lastly - Does anyone know of a good Axis dealer that would give me a discount if I purchased all the cameras, accessories, and equipment from them? Unless everyone recommends another brand of camera.

Thanks again

JDCaduceus

Axis is a good choice in my opinion. Where do you live? I can sell you cameras, but if there is someone local to you in case you need support I don't want to deprive you of having that option.

Actually, I think you could probably get a decent setup using Acti gear too and get the price down a bit too.

Hi JD,

I install Axis all the time and it's a great brand. Those 3367s are overkill IMO and they don't have Lightfinder which is my favourite feature in that series. I get stunning day/night images from the 3364s and the night pictures are colour which is handy for identification. I've got a client who went from 4 to 18 of them within a year after comparing them to other cameras.

For the nursery I'd recommend the 1034W - it has two way audio with the mic and speaker built in as well as an LED light for motion detected by the built in PIR.You don't have to use the LED if you don't want it in the baby's room but it's a handy feature in a hallway at night. It's also wireless so you just plug it in anywhere that you have power. It's a helluva camera for a couple hundred bucks.

Cat6 is great but it's harder to pull and terminate the cable. Cat5 is all you'll need and cheaper and easier to pull but it's your call.

If you're going to use the same server you should also remember that 5MP means more processing for the server and more writing to the HDs which is the real bottleneck.

Cheers