Sign in to follow this  
shew

Small Form Factor NVR

Hello!

I am looking for a small form factor NVR (no more than 14" deep and wide) that supports at least 8 1080p PoE cameras (all 8 PoE). Does such a thing exist?

If not, are there NVR boxes that can be wall mounted?

Any guidance is appreciated...

You can build a tiny mini-ITX PC and load the NVR software of choice on it. They come quite small, though the smallest ones have limited space for hard drives and accessories, and you'd need external POE.

Here's a little Antec case - 8.4 x 3.1 x 8.7 inches, but with external power brick:

http://www.amazon.com/ANTEC-OEM-ISK110-VESA-Antec-Mini-ITX/dp/B0064LWISQ/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1381868420&sr=1-6

I have never tried it but the AverMedia NEH1008HN is popular, I believe about $450. Some people like a smart NAS approach like Synology. I have one where I had 4 camera on it, worked well. It had a limitation of 1080P and I had 3MP cameras so I stopped using it but it now supports higher resolution cameras.

Like Maxicon said, my preference is to have a PC and software on it as that gives you the most flexibility. For 8 cameras, you can get a Celeron or the new low power i5 PC and run a wide variety of NVR software ranging in price from free to maybe $399 for a commercial grade solution. I always start with free, work your way up.

Dahua makes one that would work for you-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Channel-NVR-with-8-Port-POE-Ports-1-TB-WD-AV-Hard-Drive-/251355155437?pt=US_Surveillance_Digital_Video_Recorders_Cards&hash=item3a85ef4bed

That unit with a 1tb hard drive included is about the best price you can expect. There's a more popular 32 channel unit out that has 8 poe built in and even though it's a 32 channel unit, you can get it for around the same price as the 8 channel but without a hard drive included. Costco has swann and lorex with 8 poe built in and even includes cameras and hard drives. Not much problem finding what you need.

I personally don't like the built in PoE on some of these NVR's because it isolates it from your home network so you can't access them individually from your PC if you need to check an tweak the configuration or if you are installing it and want a PC close buy to check the aim.

I did see the new small NVR from Dahua but have never tried it. I would imagine it's the same as the larger one, just smaller and probably supports just 1 drive vs. the full size one supporting 2 drives. Keep in mind, it's made for Dahua cameras, it may not play well with other brands even if it says it does.

Well you can hit them, but it's not as easy, true. And the first thing I do when setting things up is network the dvr/nvr, so up on a ladder where it matters, i can just bring a netbook up with me for fine tuning.